Hotel Website Insolvent - paid by Credit Card

telco

I booked a hotel in Las Vegas for trip there with my husband in October 2013 , we went through Trivago which recommended Clever Hotels (Navelar GMBH) last Friday evening I received a mail from them ( Clever Hotels) , telling me they are insolvent and all bookings will ( more than likely )be cancelled.

I booked the hotel on my Visa ( Avanti Card) and reported this as soon as possible last Monday morning . The lady I was dealing with said she is raising this with the dispute team and it could take up to 45 days to resolve it , my credit card bill with this booking is not due to be paid until early September , but as per the email from Clever Hotels , creditors will not be dealt with until October time frame ( at the earliest)

I now need to rebook the hotel

Any advice ? firstly will I be covered by Avanti , secondly should I pay the credit card bill in September- I know that the VISA company will impose interest etc on the uppaid portion , but surely if I am covered and this charge is taken off my bill then the unpaid interest should also be reversed ?

I also just rang my travel insurance company and despite Gold level of cover , insolvency is not covered

all advice appreciated

I have done a Key Post on the topic

Your rights to refunds when paying by credit cards and debit cards

While Visa has no legal obligation to refund you, I don't know of any cases where they have not refunded customers where the merchant went into liquidation, so you are safe enough.

That is a very interesting question about the interest. I suspect you will be charged and refunded. So the easiest is to actually pay the bill in full if you have the funds.

I know that the VISA company will impose interest etc on the uppaid portion ,

In normal circumstances, if you don't pay your bill in full, you will charged interest on the full amount and not just on the unpaid bit.

How credit card interest is calculated. How to get an interest-free period.