Hotel overcharged our credit card.

highlands

Hi,
I am a first time user and new to this so I appoligise if it is in the wrong section. Myself and my wife went travelling around parts of Europe in December.

We booked into a certain hotel for New Year's Eve and made the booking thru booking.com where we made all our previous bookings. The hotel has overcharged our credit card and are saying it was a mistake by booking.com. Our issue is the payments were made to this hotel and the overcharged amount was taken by this hotel. First the hotel said it was just an authorization on our card but the money is gone from our account and they are not willing to deal with us.

I am going to contact our bank first thing Monday morning but I am just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or if anyone can offer me any advice. We are now going to have an extra fee applied to our account because our account has now gone into overdrawn. We dont have much money and had a very bad year and thought this would be a nice way to end the year just the 2 of us but altho we had a wonderful time this has put a dampner on our holiday.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Hi highlands,

Welcome to AAM.

Just wondering what do booking.com have to say about the overcharge and the fact that the hotel say it was their fault and not the hotels?

I think Sue Ellen's suggestion is worth following up. I know someone who had reason to contact booking.com last year and found them very helpful. Let us know how you get on.

Hi,
The hotel has overcharged our credit card and are saying it was a mistake by booking.com. Our issue is the payments were made to this hotel and the overcharged amount was taken by this hotel.

Did you actually make the payment yourself to the hotel by presenting your credit card to pay your bill?

Just contact your credit card company. I presume you have a receipt showing a correct amount that should have been charged. The credit card company will sort it out.

Just contact your credit card company. I presume you have a receipt showing a correct amount that should have been charged. The credit card company will sort it out.
I've heard that said before, but it didn't work for me. When I was overcharged by a car hire company the credit card issuer told me I'd have to sort it out with the merchant and wouldn't do anything about the transaction.