Hotel in Sorrento

HomersCash

Hi,

(posting in correct location)

Planning on going to Sorrento - Italy, the first week of August.

Appears the most straight-forward way to get there is with Are Lingus.
Dublin direct to Naples.
Anyone know of other airlines who go to Naples from Dublin or Cork or Shannon?

Sorrento
Good location?
Recommeded hotels?

Thanks in advance.

I stayed in the Bristol hotel in Sorrento. It was lovely. Really fantastic views. Gorgeous terrace bar. Very friendly staff. It's quite popular with Irish people and I think Topflight do it although you can obviously book direct. I didn't think that the food was that great when we went (about 4 years ago) but my parents (who love eating out) stayed there last year and said that it had really improved. Sorrento is a great place as it's so beautiful and there are loads of places to go and see on day trips (Capri, Pompeii, Amalfi coast, Vesuvius). I stayed there in August also and one thing to note is that it is the holiday period of most Italians and many go to Sorrento for their hols so it does tend to be quite busy. One restuarant that we found fab was Il Bucco. You will need to make a reservation and it is a good bit more expensive than the others but it is well worth it for a special night. It has a website so look it up. Also, have a drink the the lovely square before dinner and watch the world go by. It's really lovely and great for people watching. Enjoy.

I'd second Lou2's recommendation of the Bristol. if you can stretch to it, try to stay in one of the suites. The best are the garden ones called Villa Bianco. They are more private than the ones in the main buidlings and have a great outdoor area with hammock and hot tub.
There are some nice outdoor restaurants in a small harbour below the Bristol (about 10 mins walk).
Ischia (the island beside Capri) is also worth a day or two if you have time to kill. There's a really good thermal spa there (Poseidon Gardens) with loads of different pools, etc. If you do happen to go there, make sure to agree a price with the taxi drivers before they start driving (also applies to Naples) unless you want a big expletive-laden argument at the end of your journey!!

Stayed in the Riviera for my honeymoon a few years back and can highly recommend it. Its on the seafront with a bathing area built out from the cliff which is fantastic. Positano, Ravello and Amalfi are well worth a visit too. If you get to Capri, I'd highly recommend the chairlift in AnaCapri. It takes you to the very top of the island and the views are spectacular.

We visited Sorrento a couple of years ago & would agree that a night in Naples was enough - seriously rough & loads of pick-pockets. We got the hydrofoyle to Sorrento (just for the crack really!). There are lots of tours to Pompii but we just got the local train & hired the headphones there - it was spectacular!! Also just got the local bus to Positano - could have stayed there so lovely. There is a bar/rest called the Foreigners Club - a bit old fashioned but the views!! If you want a "pub" try Chaplins - the guy there advertises it as an "Irish Pub" but it's not really - good crack when he turns on the Dean Martin & Frank Sinatra music - the owner is a real character. If you're into this kind of thing - a visit to the old harbour & a bar (who's name escapes me) has a very interesting display of photos of Sophia Loren filming there from back in the 60's. We also went to Capri - all this is making me plan another visit!

Back