Hotel in Rome required!!

R Flan

After booking a hotel in Rome called the Borromini we have just found out it is terrible and too far outside of the city. Does anyone have any suggestions for a hotel?Ideally smack in the centre of the city and our price range is flexible.

Any help is greatly appreciated as we leave in 2 weeks.

Thanks

Have a look at for a good map of hotels in your preffered area.

We stayed in Hotel 47 which at the time was No. 1 on tripadvisor.

We were delighted with it, a modern contemporary boutique style hotel middle of the road price wise. It'sbar and restaurant facilties were limited and pricey but it was really only a centrally located hotel with good accommodation we were interested in.

I would highly recommend it.

Stayed in the Hotel Quirinal, absolutley lovely, not a chain so you get big airy rooms with shutters, 20 minute walk to city centre, 10 minute walk to train station and bus to the vatican stops more or less outside

Try to avoid anywhere directly near Termini train station - not a great area - we stayed in one a couple of years ago thinking it would be "handy" for getting around - at least we had a laugh about it - but scaaary at night!

The Albergo Cesari or the Hotel Regno are in the very best location in Rome IMO - couldn't be more central. Stayed in the Cesari a couple of years ago and it was very nice.

I recommend TripAdvisor too, a great site. I tend to sort the hotels at location and choose the best-rated in my price range. If staying in Rome, I recommend the area near Piazza Navona, which is handy for most tourist sites. The area around Termini is a bit dodgy, and if there's not much else near the Vatican apart from the Vatican itself.

[broken link removed]

Depending on how many of you are travelling, renting an apartment is a good option for 4 or more.

thank you all for your input, much appreciated. we're a bit stumped since the fiasco with the borrmini but will check out all hotels mentioned. thanks again

I stayed in the Ablergo del Senato in June last year. Brilliant location if a bit pricey. It's very central so one can walk everywhere (Vatican 25 mins, Colosseum 20 mins, most other places five or 10 minutes). Stayed on the fourth floor looking out at the Pantheon, very impressive.

As for the taxi transfer from/to the Airport, I pre-booked with http://www.romeshuttlelimousine.com/ it cost €35 each way and the service was spot on.

Different strokes for different folks etc. Stayed in a hotel ( cant recall the name ) which was about ten mins walk from Termini and had a great time . Yes you needed to be aware of your surroundings but the quality and value in the local restaurants and bars was superb. I had travelled there thinking " expencive city " and left very pleasantly surprised.
w200

Check out [broken link removed] they have a hotel called the Grand Olympic which is literally 5 minutes walk from the Vatican. B&B only but lots of eating places close by.

Highly recommend Da Romolo alla Mole Adriana on Via Fosse di Castello. If you want to eat there in the evening you need to book by lunchtime as people are queuing out on the street by 8pm.

You could also take a look at La Focaccia Pizzeria/Ristorante at 11 Via dellaPace by the Piazza Navona.

Enjoy

BillK

Friends stayed recently in the Savoy Hotel which I understand is very close to the Spanish Steps. They were happy with their stay. As others have suggested Tripadvisor is a good resource, enjoy Rome!!

I stayed in the Hotel Dei Consoli (http://www.hoteldeiconsoli.com/) in Rome two years ago and i was delighted with it.
BTW: i found this hotel on TripAdvisor...its a great site!

It was easy to get to, we got the train from the airport and walked to the hotel from the station with the help of a map. On departure, the hotel arranged a taxi to take us to the airport with a reputable firm, we agreed the price with the hotel and they booked it for us.

The hotel staff were very friendly, the hotel was spotless and comfortable and the location was perfect, very close to St.Peter's Sq (where the bus tours depart from) and the Sistine Chapel. All the sites in Rome are within walking distance of one another, and the sites we most wanted to see were closest to the hotel so we were early for joining queues (very important!).

One tip i have for dining in Rome is to watch out for extra charges. We made the mistake on the first night of having a snack at a restaurant with a view of St.Peter's...rookie mistake!! We were charged a cover charge just to sit down, a service charge and the food was overpriced. Two starters, a glass of wine and a beer cost about E50
My advice is to look for restaurants outside of obvious tourist areas and look for signs that say cover charge/service charge included. Restaurants offering meal deals were brilliant.

Have a great trip, wherever you stay