hotel in amsterdam

lucylou

hi I'm looking for a nice cheap hotel in amsterdam, very central, clean, and cheerful! Dont mind how many stars, just somewhere to put our heads down for teh night. I have used the search facility, however the posts are from circa 2002, just wondering does anyone have more recent experiences?
Thanks

We stayed in Hotel Van De Kasteelen (I think that's how it's spelled anyway). Not particularly central (about 20 mins walk from the centre), but close to trams (about 5 mins from centre) and right beside the Reiksmuseum and Van Gogh Museum.

Lovely hotel. Great breakfast. Got good rating on tripadvisor.com.

Hi LucyLou...

Myself and my wife stayed there recently (I've been there a few times but myself and Mrs d2 don't discuss this ! ) We stayed in a hotel called 'Hotel Diane'....Great basic stuff...Clean rooms, balcony and reasonable continental brekkie thrown in ...Staff were very good too. It's about 5/10 mins walk from Dam Square and right on the path of one of the Irish Pubs if you've had enough of the cultural stuff and fancy a pint of plain or a proper fried breakfast ! One thing to say is that hotels in A.Dam often have steep stairs...The Hotel Diane should charge people to come in and see their stairs....!! Not to be tackled if you are old, injured or with young kids....Hope this helps !

r2d2