Hotel in Amalfi

highly

Hi

Could anyone recommend a hotel in Amalfi for our honeymoon? I've looked at the santa caterina but it's about €500 a night and including tax is €4000 for the week! I know it's not a cheap part of the world but any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Does it have to be Amalfi itself?
Other places along the Amalfi coast I think may be cheaper & are every bit as beautiful. I stayed in Minori a few yrs back & it's far less commercial than Amalfi. We rented an apt but I'm sure hotels there are cheaper too.

Try Tripadvisor. They're always good for suggestions.

Good idea to try the area around. We loved Ravello - up in the hills about 30 minutes by bus. Very romantic and hotels out of this world!! Scenery amazing and the prices were reasonable considering the spectacular views of the Bay;)

thanks for that. i actually found a lovely hotel - palazzo sasso in ravello - but one question - is there enough there to keep us entertained for a week - i'm just asking because it's back from the coast and i don't know how accessible the rest of the coast is from there. i've heard it's stunning though.

thanks for all the suggestions. It can be anywhere on the coast by the way!

The coast road along there is very difficult to drive. Keeps winding & you really have to keep your eye on the road instead of the scenery & it's really scary the way scooters pass you by on the bends !

There's a taxi boat that goes along the coast, definitely from Amalfi to Sorrento (stops other places in between & possibly one after Amalfi ) We found this the nicest & quickest way to travel.

You can take a day trip to Capri from Amalfi & also Ischia (where The Talented Mr Ripley was filmed ) I'm sure you could find a day trip to Pompeii as well. The nice thing about the smaller towns is that you find lovely little authentic restaurants that are really very reasonable.

Wherever you stay you'll love it. The whole area is beautiful.

Stay in Sorrento. you can get to amalfi easily by bus or ferry and you can visit Pompeii and heraculeum and Naples by train. lots of restaurants there. Also bus to airport

I imagine Sorrento is even more expensive than Amalfi. I can't stand the place....it's way too commercial & all you meet there are tourists...the wrinkly Brit brigade!
It's nice to visit for a few hours just to see it but I couldn't wait to get out of it again.
At least the other places have an authentic Italian feel to them.

Agreed - Sorrento is the least attractive town in the general area. What does the OP like in the way of entertainment (It's your honeymoon, after all). ;)

The smaller local towns like Ravello, Massa Lubrense, etc etc are lovely authentic places, full of character.

Tip - if you must hire a car, choose the smallest one you think you can possibly fit you and your stuff into. Then change down a size. Driving in this area, unless you're used to it, is not for the faint-hearted, and the roads are among the narrowest you'll ever encounter.

Well worth a visit though - the Sorrentine peninsula and Amalfi Coast are just spectacular.

Hi Highly:

Try Venere.com to find all sorts of hotels, big and small on the Amalfi coast. My wife and I stayed there 2.5 years ago using this booking engine, and found a very nice place for around €60-70 per night (for both of us).

Since it's your honeymoon, you may want to spend a bit more than we did!

Sun

Last edited:
thanks for all the suggestions and replies. I've spent a good deal of time researching everything and have spoken to a few different people who have spent a lot of time on the coast.

Apparently ravello is well worth a visit but might be a little bit too quiet for a full week of relaxation, sorrento is apparently full of brits and yanks and there's not much in solarno. that left us with amalfi itself and positano and we've gone for positano and i think we're going to book the Il san Pietro di positano - http://www.ilsanpietro.it/ and it looks great and has great reviews on tripadvisor (except for one of two which there will always be).

i just can't wait to get there now and explore capri, pompeii and the rest of the region.

just need hotels for tuscany, florence, rome and venice now!! (and need to pay for it!!)

thanks again :)

You lucky thing. Wish I was going back there again. We honeymooned in Italy last year and it was amazing. Don't know if you are stuck on hotels but we rented some private apartments in Rome and Amalfi that were stunning and remarkably cheaper than some of the hotels that we stayed in. Rentalinrome.com was one of them for example. Good luck with the honeymoon.

Hi Highly,

yes, it´s a lovely part of the world, but as others have said, Sorrento is to touristy, and Ravello feels a bit cut-off, since its a long slow drive up the windy road to it.
I was also in Amalfi and Positano, and liked them, but even better I can recommend a village about half an hour away called Santa Agatha dei due monte (or something like that!). We stayed in an amazing hotel called the Oasi Olympia Relais. It was recommended by friends who had been there on honeymoon. Its pricy enough (about 250E per night per person, but I asked for a discount and got 200E per night) but well worth it. Its on the crest of a hill and you can see the coast at Sorrento and at Amalfi at the same time. Its not touristy atall, and the above named towns are all within short driving range.

Shiraz.

Highly, have you looked at the beautiful island of Ischia, its a ferry ride from Naples its classy has a great bus service, natural thermal spas and beaches and great ferry connections with the mainland , google it and see for yourself. We took rooms in a village called Forio on ischia in a beautiful old building called Pietradonica. We caught the ferry to Sorrento afterwards for a week and wanted to swim back to Ischia it was so commercial.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back