Hotel for Weekend Away on the train line from Dublin (Killarney is excluded)

JMR

I need recommendations for a weekend away for my mother and father in-law (both in their mid 50's).
The pre-requisites are as follows:
  • Must be on the train line from Dublin (Killarney is excluded)
  • Must be a large enough hotel that would have entertainment on at night
  • Must be walking distance from the main town
The Gleneagle Hotel would be a good choice but as I've said Killarney is not an option, so any ideas???

Re: Hotel for Weekend Away

Hello

My parents are of the same age. They both really like the Park House Hotel in Galway, it's close to the train station in Galway city (about a 5 minute walk), also right by Eyre Square, and has live music in the bar, although plenty of other locations close by to avail of this. Food in the restaurant was deemed to be very nice also.
What location are your parents in, this would probably determine the best train destination?

Here's a few less obvious ones to think about:

http://www.annebrook.ie/ lovely new hotel in the centre of Mullingar.
Great reviews on tripadvisor. Beautifully decorated restaurant but food so so - plenty of nice restaurants in town.

http://www.thelandmarkhotel.com/ in Carrick on Shannon - lovely riverside town, nice walks, restaurants, touring boat that departs acorss the road from hotel with music on board (moon river).

http://www.theglasshouse.ie/ new hotel in Sligo town - haven't been but looks great !

All above on Dublin Connolly to Sligo train route - just realised that I have assumed you were in Dublin !!

st helen's hotel in rosslare harbour would be ideal for them (not connected with the hotel)!!! its only 2 & 1/2 hours on the train and its a lovely area and lovely hotel

The Talbot in Wexford is a lovely hotel - plenty to see and do in the locality

http://www.annebrook.ie/ lovely new hotel in the centre of Mullingar.
Great reviews on tripadvisor. Beautifully decorated restaurant but food so so - plenty of nice restaurants in town.

No doubt, it is a nicely finished hotel and the location is wonderful (town center) - but having been there for lunch, drinks etc. I've experienced nothing but dreadful service levels over and over again. My parents both go there from time to time for a bite or a drink and are never satisfied with service levels.... in my experience locals only go there because of the excellent location.... also... it has no private pool facilities (althought there is a public pool nearby)...

If you were to pick Mullingar... The Park Hotel would be by far the nicest facilities-wise (pool, restaurant, top-notch rooms) - but is a good 15min walk out of town and is usually overrun by a large wedding or corporate function.

You could always go to the more traditional Greville Arms Hotel... even more central than the Annebrook and with lots of evening entertainment all year round (very reasonably prices too)... only let down is rooms would'nt be as nice as Annebrook/Park... but the price would be half!

What to do in the area: fabulous Belvedere House & Gardens, the Arts Center (plays, exhibtions), plenty of nice restaruants (Oscars is defo worth a visit), good range of pubs., lots of lakes and canal walks... and a 40min bus trip to Athlone if you want more shopping or Shannon Cruises.

Other than Mullingar I'd say Athlone is a good bet, new town center, the river and lots of good hotels, restaurants and pubs.

Try The Price of Wales (town center) or the new The Athlone Springs Hotel.

Update:

I see you can get a midweek [broken link removed] at the Greville or a Weekend Special of €165pps B&B for 2nts

Last edited:
The Court Hotel in Tullamore - Near railway station and very central it also has a very good leisure centre. Only just over an hour from Dublin and lots of trains as the Galway and Westport train both pass through.

How about Drogheda? The D hotel is close to the railway station and is attached to a shopping centre, short walk from the town - there's a festival taking place next weekend to celebrate the official opening of the pedestrianised main street. Lots of pubs in the town with music of various types.

Drogheda is on the Northern Commuter route from Dublin Connolly and is the first stop for the Enterprise Dub-Belfast express also from Dublin Connolly.

I would agree with Strong, Tullamore Court Hotel is gorgeous. Not too far to travel. The restaraunt in the Hotel is fabulous and the bands would be of the traditional hotel entertainment variety. The indian restaurant at the top of the town is also gorgeous if you fancy something different the second night. Having the pool in the hotel is also a plus.

I need recommendations for a weekend away for my mother and father in-law (both in their mid 50's).

The Gleneagle Hotel would be a good choice but as I've said Killarney is not an option, so any ideas???

Fwiw, the Gleneagle is not a good option for anyone unless they are drinking a lot and don't mind being disturbed by noise from discos until very late. It is really an entertainment venue with a hotel added on. The rooms lack many of the comforts you take for granted in similarly-priced hotels. The Brehon next door (owned by the same company) would be a much nicer option.

Was in Athlone on Saturday and spent a few hours at the Radisson SAS - perfect position overlooking the shannon, and very much in the town center.

Despite wanting to pump up my hometown (Mullingar) - I think the OP's mother/father in-law might find Athlone offers much more to do than Tullamore, Mullingar or Longford... and theres certainly plenty of nice hotels to choose from down there - Radisson SAS, Prince of Wales, Silver Springs, Hodson Bay among them.