Hotel Booking Slightly in Excess of Debit Card Limit

S

ShyGuy

I was just wondering what would be the best thing to do in my current situation.
I have booked a hotel in September for 6 nights which has to be prepaid. I have two debit cards which both have sufficient funds in them but the hotel booking slightly exceeds the €1,500 maximum transaction.

What would be the best option.
Is it possible to ask the hotel to split the payment for separate cards.
I prefer not to get a credit card.

Cheers

Can you send them a draft? Or do an electronic transfer directly to their account?

Just as an aside, are you certain that they'll still be in business in September? Prepaying 6 nights seems a bit unusual to me.

Yes, hotels are normally willing to split the bill on 2 different cards. I would also suggest calling them to find out if they will charge any thing additional on the card, once they find out that you are paying for the booking with a debit card. The last two times I paid for a hotel with a debit card, I was charged a additional fee at check in that was on top of the cost of my booking. This was to cover them in case I racked up big room service or bar bills. I was refunded that amount when I did not, but I still had to pony it up at the beginning.

Pay by credit card...that way you're protected if the hotel goes belly up in the interim.

Back