Hotel apartments - Gran Canaria / Lanzarote

jrewing

My wife and her friend are planning to travel to Gran Canaria or Lanzarote with 2 small children at the end of Feb. We have looked into package deals but because there are two kids, they have been told that they can't have a double room, and must take an apartment. As the choices of hotels with apartments are very limited, we are looking into the option of taking flight only and organising the accomodation separately. They want half board rather than self-catering.

Can anyone recommend a hotel with apartments in either Gran Canaria or Lanzarote from experience ?

Tks, JR

Stayed at the Sands Beach Resort at Costa Teguise Lanzarote 11- 18 December, Double bed in the main bedroom, pull down double bed in the kitchen 4 star , lovely for the kids, pool outside the door. If you want a ground floor you need to order it while booking Euro 350.00 for a week in December , don't know what the summer rate is like.

Found the Neto ( supermarkets there expensive) so we took the bus to the main city to the Euro spar near the bus station to do a family shop , better selection of food in general and less expensive. Couldn't find a Carrefour there like they have in Grand Carnaria

How old are your kids?
I went to Fereonies (spelling?) with wife and 2 kids, then aged 2 and 19 months) but all rooms have 3 or 4 steps which is a pain in the ar$e when you have 2 toddlers. Otherwise, it was fine, albeit a little dated. I'd fo there again when the kids are older.

In a few weeks, we are actually going to Sands Resort, as mentioned by another poster. We were advised by by someone to book a ground floor apartment, which is exactly what we did.

Can't wait.

Fariones
There is two different parts to the fariones - the hotel and then there are the apartments across the road from the hotel. I got married in Lanzarote and a friend stayed in the apartments. He said they were really nice. I've heard good things about the hotel also, but as OP says it's very dated.

Just so you know, Teguise is some distance from the popular destination in Lanzarote known as Puerto del Carmen (about 30 minute drive).

Finally, there are apartments that do half board in Lanzarote. Some family members that attended our wedding stayed in apartments that had buffet breakfast and dinners. I'm not sure that they would provide the same service in February, but it may be worth talking to a travel agent about. Once the travel agent provides the details, then check if you can book it cheaper yourself ;-)

One final thing that I should have mentioned. In my opinion, one of the best things about Lanzarote is the restaraunts. In the old town in Puerto del Carme, there are so many good restaraunts, and the prices are very reasonable. Food for thought in relation to the half board idea.

Also, if they haven't been there before, tell them to rent a car and drive to the beach at Papagayo. It's beautiful. The terrain on the last two miles of the journey is dreadful, but it's worth it.

How old are your kids?
I went to Fereonies (spelling?) with wife and 2 kids, then aged 2 and 19 months) but all rooms have 3 or 4 steps which is a pain in the ar$e when you have 2 toddlers.

The kids will be 22 months and 2-1/2, so about the same as your own. Thanks for all the tips to date.

There is serious roadworks going on in puerto del carmen Lanzarote at the moment, the place is in bits along the main strip so not a great place for kids!!