Hotel and one night occupancy

CharlieC

I need to book a hotel down the country for a Sat night to attend an event
Rang a few hotels and they will only take a booking if you book for 2 nights. This means they have availability but obviously want to get people in for the weekend

I assume they are entitled to do this?
Thanks

Where 'down the country?' Would you try a B/B, surely one available for one night in the area.

I have come across this quite a bit before alright but I dont think they're doing anything illegal. I guess just remember the hotels who insisted on this and dont do business with them again. Have you tried booking over the interent ? I found this a lot more open to one night stays as the company you book thru dont care about the hotels wishes they simply want bums on beds.

I had the same problem a few weeks ago while trying to book a hotel for a Saturday night in Kilkenny. I used the net, and kept searching until I found a hotel which didn't try to extort the price of a second night from its customers. Not all of them do, but you'll have to do a bit of work to find the ones which don't. Good Luck.

book the 2 nights and then cancel one of them a day or so before....it'll be too late for them to do anything about it then

book the 2 nights and then cancel one of them a day or so before....it'll be too late for them to do anything about it then
Except hit you with late cancellation conditions and charge you for the unused night anyway.

I have since book the same hotel on the Net and received a confirmation subject to availability so we will see

It is for a wedding in a remote location so haven't much choice on the B+B Hotel front

I guess just remember the hotels who insisted on this and dont do business with them again.

Why do you suggest this?

Family circumstances mean that my family occasionally have to spend weekends away in hotels in a certain specific area of the country. It is usually very easy to get a hotel room for a Friday night but can be bloody hard on Saturday nights when there are weddings on. Usually we depend on a certain hotel that has a minimum 2 night stay policy.

Surely our custom for a 2-night stay is at least as valuable as that of a hotel guest on a 1-night stay?

I find this happens quite a lot when trying to book a hotel anywhere in the world - especially London. I guess it makes sense for hotels if they get people in for two nights as it cuts down on the amount of housekeeping etc.

Why do you suggest this?
Because the hotel is turning your business down in the hope of getting you to stay for longer than you have to. If I sell ice-cream on the beach and I tell you that I only sell them in twos would you feel I'm being pushy in trying to sell you more than you want ? I personally would walk away and bring my custom elsewhere.

I can't agree with you at all. Why shouldn't the hotel do this?
Hotels are aiming to be full at the weekends. The vast majority of people wish to stay for two nights. Letting a room go for one of these nights it far more difficult to let it for the other night. I'm sure more often than not it ends up vacant.
These people are in business after all and if facilitating the OP is going to cost them money then the policy is justified. It like criticising a restaurant for having a minimum charge after a certain hour...sure it doesn't suit those with small appetites who only want a starter but there are plenty of people who want the full monty.

Why shouldn't the hotel do this?
No reason at all. I just personally feel they are refusing business and so dont like it. I resemble an elephant in more ways than one though when they come whining looking for my business again. Now if they told me that a Friday night was €150 a room but that a Friday and Saturday was €200 in total I would not feel so bad and in fact would applaud their business sense.