Hot water tank never warmer than lukewarm

masterK

My hot water tank upstairs never gets any hotter than Lukewarm regardless of how long or how high the Gas heating is on. I've felt the pipes entering the tank, they are get really hot but the tank itself doesn't.

We recently had some building work done which included new radiators and plumbing work, it's only since then the problem has arisen.

The thermostat is set at 70 degrees. Is it possible that a valve needs to be opened/closed. Any other ideas?

Re: Hot Water tank never warmer than Lukeworm

Air lock at the highest point of entry into the cylinder is my guess.
Is the pipe copper or iron? Copper easier to open if not soldered, iron a bit more difficult. You probably need a plumber anyway.

The pipes are copper. When I turn on the immersion the tank heats fine, it's just when heating from the gas I have the issue.

You may need a bit more power in your circulation pump. There should be a dial numbered one to three on the side turn it up one and see if it makes a difference.

Your system may also be unbalanced which is favouring the rads with the hot water. Give the pump a go first, and if that fails do a search on the web about balancing and try and follow the instructions. There will be a wheel valve on the boiler flow out from the cylinder but don't touch that until you have balanced the rads.

The pipes are copper. When I turn on the immersion the tank heats fine, it's just when heating from the gas I have the issue.

It is certainly a circulation problem so - whether it's an air lock problem as described by me or a pump issue as described by davidoco I'm not sure. Becasue of the plumbing work you carried out recently I'd guess an airlock but I think you need a plumber to sort it out.

I had a similar problem some time ago. When I investigated I found that the expansion pipe had sliped from its bracket and had dipped below the surface of the header tank. When hot water was drawn down cold water was siphoned out of the header tank - giving luke warm water no matter how hot the copper cylinder. It is probably not relevent in this case as the the immersion heated water is not affected. However no harm in checking as my problem also arose when some work was being done in the attic.

masterK - Did you have any luck getting your hot water working?

we have a similiar issue - new extension so extra rads. All the rads are heating perfectly but the hot water only ever gets lukewarm. Builder first said it was an airlock in the hot water tank then switched to the gas boiler isn't powerful enough to heat both rads and hot water tank....
Any help appreciated