Hot water not working

M

missy06

Hi there.

I have just moved into a new house about 6weeks ago. everything is fine or was should i say! went to put on heating last night cuz it was a bit chilly also wanted hot water have a bath.

The radiators were roasting hot, when i went to have a bath there was no hot water. i tried all the taps then in the house and none. i checked the hot press and the cyclinder was freezing cold.

It was working before and we just put it on as we did before, im so annoyed over it.

Lucky i have an electric shower and a dishwasher.

I rang the builder to day and there still away on holidays and said oh cant get someone to look at it till next week. i was like what are we ament to do for hot water and he had the cheek to say boil the kettle.

Anyways i got really mad and he's sending someone thursday still 2days anyway.

Anyone ever had an experience like this? anything i could try to get it working? would it be a problem with the boiler?

thanks in advance
missy 06

Had a similar problem in new house. I can't think of the correct terminology here but there is a tap that you can adjust in the hot press that will balance the flow of heated water from your oil/gas burner between the central heating system and what goes into the copper cylinder to heat your hot water for taps. I would guess that this is probably completely closed or completely open. Try turning it a couple turns such that it is partially open. I think this might do the trick but I am not a plumber so don't be surprised if it doesn't work !

Cybermate might be onto something there but if you have already had hot water int he cylinder before from the central heating then I doubt this is the problem. He is refering to balancing the central heating which I won't go into explaining but will let the following site do it..........(you have to assume that your HW cylinder is a radiator)

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/plumbing/rad-balance.html

There is usually a valve or switch on the system that when activated will allow to HW+CH or just HW. If this is a gas boiler try locating it on the boiler.

Possibly one of the motorised valves may not be working or could be seized- there may be a 3-port valve on the primary circuit. Whatever it is it's most likely something simple. Try adjusting the temp. setting on the 3 port valve (turn the head).

On closer inspection it doesn't sound like the same problem as I had. When i moved into our new house the CH was fine but no HW and balancing tap solved the problem.

If you have a switch as described by fatboise you could try setting it to HW Only to see if it will force the heating of your water. Otherwise turn down your CH thermostats to see if that works?

But the fact that you said it was working probably means a fault has occurred somewhere. As suggested by Carpenter it could be a motorised value problem connected to your coppe cylinder. Not a plumber but I believe motoriised values can be fickle !

hi

thanks for the replies well i have tried everything suggested and still cant get the thing working, looks like il just have to wait till thursday. Its really annoying because it was working perfectly and i never touched any odd looking switches. its all v complicated. Fatboise it is gas heating and theres no other switches on the boiler only. em let me think Constant/timed. then on the other side a frost looking thing (dunno wot it for) them 3 little bars i presume there for the radiators. I dont even have a manual to it.

I thought i would have no trouble with it been a new house its getting rougher by the day.

I also had trouble with my shower with no water coming out of the head, had to get them to look at it. turns out the sliver bit was twisted and he put on a new one. i could go on....but i wont

Thanks again
missoy06

Back