hot water guage?

M

msher

i have just cleared out the hot press and found a guage under the cylinder that the main black hand is at three quarters before one and the red hand that seems can be adjusted from outside with a flathead screwdriver is at 1 and a quarter,on the t of of this is a brass tap on the other side is a black adjustable knob with an arrow pointing to- a- one way and -c- the other,beside this a big red spherical ball ending,i think were a pressurised system we just turn one lever valve for radiators for one half the bungalow and one for the other,ive always found our hot water unnesscarily hot and boiler where you cant put your hand on it,could i adjust anything on guage to lower this.(sorry for long winded inquiry)

thanks guys,so what is this gauge i have for and is it much of a job to fit a new gauge on the tank

That gauge is for the pressure inside of your heating system. It sounds about right, let it be.

You may want to close the balancing valve on cylinder flow pipe, this will restrict flow through cylinder and encourage flow to radiators.

the valve is a red wheeled gatevalve and should be found on the return pipe on cylinder. The return pipe is the bottom of the two pipes that enter your cylinder parallel at the side and about 18" apart.

thanks for reply davy,have found copper pipe running up to the bottom of cylinder with gate valve,if i close completly will this give me more temp to rads and what would its function have been anyway.

are you sure you have the right valve? You may have turned off the cold feed to cylinder, hence no hot water.

You don't want to close the balancing valve completely, or else the boiler won't heat water in cylinder. It's purpose is to balance the system, without it, the cylinder gets more flow then is needed to heat it. This in-turn starves the rads of maximum flow.

didnt touch it yet davy,the one with the gate valve is going in at the bottom and there is another one with no gate valve going in in about three quarters way up the tank about 18 inches above the other one,the one at the bottom with the gate valve goes down to my two lever valves and goes over to gauge and qualpex to hydro pipe

Thats the one alright, close it down a bit and it will give better flow to radiators.

Back