Hot Water Cylinder Problem

Demps

Had a plumber out yesterday as my oil central heating although working was not heating rads. Problem seems to be that I have a leak in the coil in the hot water copper cylinder. Price I was quoted for replacing the whole cylinder was 350euro including labour.

My query is - is it necessary to replace the whole cylinder if it is only the internal coil that is leaking - there is no leak from the copper hot water cylinder itself

Any feedback appreciated

You can't remove the coil from the cylinder- the coil is "built-into" the cylinder at the time of manufacture and the cylinder is then completed by the brazing on of the top or bottom of the cylinder. Your old cylinder is only good for scrap I'm afraid.

Thanks Carpenter

Would the quote of 350 seem reasonable for the unit and the work involved?

I think so, what is the existing cylinder like (factory insulated or not, quick recovery)? If replacing an older, un-insulated cylinder I would want to use a factory insulated model in its place.

Also all pipework connected to the cylinder should now be insulated- this should only add a few euro to the cost of the job and it's something you can do yourself. While you have a plumber in the house it is very worthwhile to have gate valves fitted on the feeds from your cold water storage tank in the attic- this makes future maintenance of your system very easy and avoids the need for drain-down.

Back