Hosting foreign students

Browneyedgirl4

I’m thinking of hosting 2 students in July…anyone any tips/advice?Has anyone hosted an Erasmus student for several months and how did that work out…?
Is it roughly 200 euro per week?

For a single room, the rates I currently see are usually around €189 a week. I used to host adult language students during summer and usually had to prepare their evening/weekend meals as well but it might be different for Erasmus students (probably means they pay less as well). For me, the rate was set by the school/organisation that connected me to the students, there's some variation. Trying your hand with shorter summer stays before hosting for several months is a good idea! I think it'll give you an idea of the kind of house rules you'd like to set for longer stays. If you look at the "Terms & Conditions" for an organisation like HostingPower.ie (https://app.hostingpower.ie/terms-and-services (link)) there are a lot of rule examples around kitchen use, smoking, visitors, etc that are good to think about in advance.

Hosting foreign students whether Erasmus students or secondary school students is not easy. It can be a fantastic experience for the host family, but if you are naive or not prepared it can be a disaster.

Therefore, I’m suggesting you do your “homework” and be prepared for any eventuality. The money involved is the least of your problems.

An ex Girlfriend used to do this. A very capable girl who knew how to keep things light, sandwiches, small pack of juice and pack of multi pack cheese and onion.The student was out most of the day and on return would have whatever was served for dinner Chill con carne, spag bol etc and head out again with her Spanish friends.

Rinse and repeat.

She knew she needed to turn a decent profit or it was pointless so it was Ryanair all the way. Helped enormously by the fact she was a bubbly friendly type who really went above and beyond to make student feel comfortable.....happy student happy life.

First things first, if you want to avail of rent-a-room relief, make sure you rent for at least consecutive 28 days.

We did it once, with two students for 3 months, had no major issues. They were respectful, cleaned up and were generally easy to have. All that being said, what we had underestimated was how much we valued having the the space at home to ourselves. We didn't feel totally relaxed while they were in the house, and we breathed a sign of collective relief once they had left. To each and everyone their own of course.

I'd recommend if you do it that you put a set of rules together, so that everyone is on the same page (visitors, smoking, what happens if you damage something, cleaning etc).

Good advice ….i might try next July for 1 month and see how I get on. I’ll batch cook food and be organsed

Back