Host a website

BarneyMc

I've just completed a website using Frontpage 2003 and have the following questions:

1. Because I created it in Frontpage 2003 do I need to check anything technically with potential hosting companies?
2. If I host in Ireland with an Irish company will that be beneficial for searches within Ireland for my site?
3. Does it matter whether I use Windows or Linux?
4. Can anyone recomment BlackNight as a potential hosting company and domain registrar?

Thanks for any help to the above questions!

1. No ... most hosting companies use cpanel which facilitea Frontpage
2. No .... proper Search Engine Optimisation of your website will raise your search engine rankings.
3. Can't answer that ... I've only experience of Linux and have no problems with it.
4. Never used them. I've used Let's Host but have also used US based hosting and to be honest I've had less technical problems/outages with the US server. And I find them much cheaper too. I'd love to shop local and buy Irish but I've found the company I'm with to be top class in providing what I need.

I'm with [broken link removed] (no connection/no affiliation)

1. Because I created it in Frontpage 2003 do I need to check anything technically with potential hosting companies?

You may need a host to offer frontpage extensions. Depends on how you created it.

Most will office this.

2. If I host in Ireland with an Irish company will that be beneficial for searches within Ireland for my site?

Yes it will.

You will need windows if you used frontpage extensions.

4. Can anyone recomment BlackNight as a potential hosting company and domain registrar?

Never had an issue with Digiweb myself. I host site with over 100,000 visitors a month and only pay about €50 a year.

Thanks for the replies guys. The only issue not agreed then is the Irish V Non Irish hosting companies and whether or not it makes a difference with search results. Does anyone else have an opinion?

Thanks for the replies guys. The only issue not agreed then is the Irish V Non Irish hosting companies and whether or not it makes a difference with search results. Does anyone else have an opinion?

The problem is google don't publish how they rank site , so it's a matter of option. Either of us could be right/wrong.

I know how google works. And you can sell that knowlegde, its call SEO (search engine optimisation). I know some of you know it so I'll spare you the bumph as theres books, websites and consultants that specialize in it. google it.

as a brief into , get your site listed in irish website directories. it will help.

I use letshost.ie and I am very happy with them.

Me too they are great. Search engine optimisation is up to you to be honest. Make sure you have tags, search phrases, title description etc. You should know all that by now.

As long as you aren't using Frontpage extensions you should be fine.

Yes
Not really. It only comes into play if you want to use certain programming languages and / or functions. For most sites it won't matter
If you have any questions please let us know.

Me too they are great. Search engine optimisation is up to you to be honest. Make sure you have tags, search phrases, title description etc. You should know all that by now.

Yes but the question wasn't about that. It is "If I host in Ireland with an Irish company will that be beneficial for searches within Ireland for my site?"

BarneyMc

If your domain name is an .ie you would be better with an irish company hosting your website. You could then submit to Google ie and Yahoo Ireland.I have 3 domain names 2 .co.uk and 1 .com. I have tried submitting to irish search engines and struggle to gain a listing.

Re: 4. I use Blacknight and they are excellent particularly on the customer service side.

Just to give another option, no affiliation other than recently signed up to them, www.siteground.com are offering a years unlimited hosting for €20.

I found customer support to be fairly good too.

Nope, not at all, no need to be a suspicious Aloysius!

Just a 1st time reader and poster of the site. With Boards.ie down due to hacking, a friend pointed me to this site. Thanks for the welcome though.

Over the past number of years I have used , and finally . Without a doubt I would have to say (no connections) are the best. I find there customer service very good and the tools they have available for website development, SEO etc to be very powerful
Regards