Hospital refusing to give Xray report.

Grizzly

My wife went for an xray to a public hospital with a letter from her consultant. Because the referal letter was from a consultant and not from her GP she was charged €75. If it had been from her GP the xray would have been free. As my wife was not returning to the consultant because the service was very poor asked for the xray report to be sent to her GP instead. The hospital refused. They said they had to send it to the consultant. Seeing that I was paying for the xray I asked to be given the report and I could take it to the GP. This was refused.
Surely if I am paying for the xray, it is my property and I am entitled to be given it?

Information act you are entitled to any files, and their contents, that are held by a public hospital. If you get no joy from the hospital you can get on to the ofice of the Ombudsman [broken link removed].

A colleague of mine had hassle trying to get his MRI scans from a private clinic. He ended up cajoling the receptionist/secretary into handing them over. She would only do so in a sealed envelope as if that was going to stop him looking at them or passing them on to other medical practitioners of his personal choice.