Horses sent to slaughter-Is it this serious?

LouthLass

Dear all,

I saw reported on the news and in the newspapers that basically as a fall-out of the current economic climate, many horse-owners have either sent their animals to slaughter-houses or simply abandoned them because they cannot afford to either keep them in training or just keep them full stop! Does anyone on this forum know of any organisation that may try and re-home the horses for owners who feel as if they have no option but to abandon them? The reason I ask is because I feel that I am in the position to take on one such horse whose future may be in doubt because of what is currently happening. I have tried a Google search but cant find anything conclusive.

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum so mods please move if appropriate.

Kind regards

LL

Have already checked with this organisation and unfortunately the criteria they have set is very strict: in order to qualify for a rehoming of a horse you must be able to provide all year round stabling even if they are to kept out on grass all year round, they also insist that the animal must be kept with another horse or equine mate because they are a herd animal which is understandable. They also set another list of conditions which includes the animal remains the property of ISPCA and that the animal they rehome may have behavioural issues which may make it unsuitable for novice riders or children. Basically, all I would love to do is offer a home to a horse that otherwise would be sent to slaughter or abandoned. It saddens me to think that there are all these wonderful animals that have so much to offer that have to be killed simply because their owners can't afford to keep them and here I am willing and able to save at least one of them!

recently, there was a four month waiting list to have horses slaughtered because they were so busy. i think there is only one factory in ireland and meat is shipped to France etc or used as dog food.

Yea def happening all the time, unfor. the best way to pick one of this horses up is by word of mouth, sometimes you will be asked to pay the meet value for the horse €800 approx. and other times they give them for free. Just got a free one myself but it was word of mouth. You can always leave your details with trainers yards etc.. most of these horses going to slaughter are race horses or horses coming out of stud farms that cain't be sold in the current climate so you can pick up a well bred horse for nothing they do require a bit of re-training but their so use to being handled that i've never had any probs! and they tend to be very obliging!

Just reading through all the comments their and i personally would avoid the ISPCA, they do an abs amazing job, but there are so many horses that you could help directly. When I looked into it before I just didn't like the way i could never own the animal, sounds a bit silly maybe but with horses you pump so much money in that i would like to know that the animal is tech. mine and god for bid something happened to me I'd like to know where my horse would end up. They do it for all the right reasons but for me it put me off.

Rather than slaughtering them is there any chance of Bóthar sending them to Finglas next Christmas?

Rather than slaughtering them is there any chance of Bóthar sending them to Finglas next Christmas?

LOL.

I'm reliably informed that some serious bargains are being auctioned off at Goffs. Anyone want to form a syndicate? ;)

They really should have a shed (would you like to leave them out side when they are sick). Okay maybe they could live without the shed and a mate...just

Do you have plenty of land for them to run around in?

What would you do when you go on holidays or during the day or night if they broke out on the road and injured someone or themselves? Vets are very expensive and may be needed frequently. Can you afford to feed them in the winter months with hay?

If you're up to it - I'd ask around and just buy a horse.

I’d love a horse myself and I hated hearing this (I heard this about 6 months ago) but from growing up with them no way would I take the task on.

One of them bolted in Paris today - maybe he wanted to get to Finglas? His name was Garibaldi, doesn't that take the biscuit?

Just reading through all the comments their and i personally would avoid the ISPCA, they do an abs amazing job, but there are so many horses that you could help directly. When I looked into it before I just didn't like the way i could never own the animal, sounds a bit silly maybe but with horses you pump so much money in that i would like to know that the animal is tech. mine and god for bid something happened to me I'd like to know where my horse would end up. They do it for all the right reasons but for me it put me off.

Thanks ss1, thats one of the reasons that is putting me off from approaching them. A good friend of mine works in a trainer's yard and there is a strong possibility that I could be getting one of the horses that the owners can't afford to keep in training in the next few weeks so fingers crossed. I worked with racehorses years ago so I would be confident with the breed also. It really is a sad situation at the moment - another fall-out of the Celtic Tiger unfortunately.

Many thanks for all the replies.

LOL.

I'm reliably informed that some serious bargains are being auctioned off at Goffs. Anyone want to form a syndicate? ;)

They eat horse in France don't they (ok, they eat everything in France but...) so why not but them at Goffs and export thm to France and then... well, then it's not our problem any more. That's what we usually do with problems isn't it?

Back