Hoovers

phoenix

Hi, just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on which is the best hoover for stairs. We need a new hoover and would like strong suction as we have plain carpet on stairs and landing which shows every bit of dust going! Rest of floors mainly wood.

I'm not too impressed with my Dyson! The tag line says that it never loses suction! It has to have suction first, to lose it. My parents have a cheap and chearful one and it works just as well or even better.

Hi, just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on which is the best hoover for stairs. We need a new hoover and would like strong suction as we have plain carpet on stairs and landing which shows every bit of dust going! Rest of floors mainly wood.

Miele S4210

If your Dyson has no suction, change or clean the filter. Or maybe it's blocked. Have owned a couple of Dysons and never a problem, although we don't have a lot of carpet.

The Miele Cat and Dog model is excellent for carpet (you don't have to have a cat or dog to own one).

If you run the search option in this forum there are plenty of other threads on vacuum cleaners and hoovers.

Do not get a Dyson. I am very unsatisfied with the one I have. It cost a lot of money and while it is advertised as a "no bag" machine the filters have to replaced regularly and they are quite expensive and suppliers are not too accessible.
My son bought a bagless vacuum cleaner in one of the Aldi/Lidl chain stores for a pittance of the money I paid for the Dyson and it is totally on par with the Dyson.

Filters are quite expensive, sure. But you can wash them so shouldn't have to replace them very often (I've had mine for a couple of years now). You need to replace filters in all vacuum cleaners periodically anyway. Some people just take out the filters of course, which leads to fantastic suction (but also lots of dust blowing back out into the room)!

Yeah, some of the knockoff Dysons look good, worth checking out.

IMHO Nilfisk are the best. No filters necessary and I haven't used a bag in ours for years.

I got a 2000W 'cheap' brand in Power City - can't remember the brand name...but it's their cheapest in the class... it cost €69.95 and I have no complaints with it!

It's a good deal lighter than some of the other branded ones so it's easy to haul up and down a stairs. If you're a stickler for cleanliness then I wouldn't get anything less than a 2000...

IMHO Nilfisk are the best. No filters necessary and I haven't used a bag in ours for years.

We bought one thinking they were a cut above the rest- don't think so anymore. The model was a G90 I think- no cord strorage facility on the machine, loses suction rapidly and if the bag burst or tears the filter is awkward enough to clean. Not very portable either, gets snagged uo on cord, overturns etc! In it's favour it will probably outlast cheaper machines because of build quality. I now think if I was buying again and the machine would get some abuse (as it did in a new house with builder's dirt etc) I would probably chance a cheap vacuum cleaner.

Lower end Miele are the Way to Go. For €160/€170 it is possible to get 1600Watt Miele Vacuum cleaner. Same electric motor as much more expensive ones, but with less attachments (which you never use anyway). Model comes with Chord wind and 2 attachments. Argos sell them.