Hooking up TV (with one scart) to surround sound system and ntl

hansov

A friend of mine, of course, bought a TV without asking (me or other fairly technically minded friends) what sockets he needed to have to ensure that his current system would continue to work. So here’s the scenario: He's trying to hook up a Philips Flat screen (sockets: FM Ant, Scart, DVI-I in, Audio In, Video in, S-Video, DVI Audio in) with a Pace NTL box and Philips LX3000D surround sound system (Scart, Audio In, Audio out, S Video out, Video Out, Signal Out(coaxial and optical) Antenna). Haven’t got the details for the sockets on the back of the Pace box but I need somebody to steer me/him in the right direction. It seems that at the moment he needs to scart the ntl box to the TV which leaves him with no way of getting the sound from the TV to the surround sound system. Does he tune the TV into a signal from the ntl box and use a coaxial cable to get that signal leaving the scart free to hook up to the surround sound system?

I have audio running from sky box straight to Surround sound system. Don't think he needs to go near T.V. for sound.

There is probably a stereo out (red and white jacts) on the NTL box. I'm afraid you can only get stereo sound from the NTL box

For video, connect scart (RGB) from ntl box to TV.
For audio, buy a digital optical cable (about 10euros) and connect from ntl digital box's optical digital audio jack to the surround sound system.

He hooked up the ntl box 'audio outs' to the surround sound (SS), scarted the ntl box to the TV and so he has TV with surround sound. Great! However now I discover that the above machine is also his DVD player and of course he is not sending a signal to the TV. Can he use S-Video out on the SS to the S-Video on the TV (or for that matter Video out to Video in on TV) and if he does so, does he have to tune the TV to the S-Video to grab the signal?

Back