Hooking up TV to AMP

IrishGunner

ok

Have This Tv

Also have [broken link removed]

Hooked the DVD recorder up to the amp using optical cable and sound blows you away

However want to hook up TV to amp as surround sound only comes through DVD

There is an Audio in on the TV coloured red and white

On the back of the amp is a monitor out but there is only one coloured Red?

also there are 3 slots at the back of the tv Pr Pb Y coloured red white yellow and there are 3 monitor out slots on the back of amp but coloured red blue & grey ?

what does Pr & Pb mean and one red cable going from the monitor out on the amp to the tv(where there are 2 slots)

Or a 3 cable(y,R,W) going from the pr pb Y on Tv to amp, coloured red blue and grey

Longest post I have made but trying to figure it out:confused:

also there are 3 slots at the back of the tv Pr Pb Y coloured red white yellow and there are 3 monitor out slots on the back of amp but coloured red blue & grey ?

what does Pr & Pb mean and one red cable going from the monitor out on the amp to the tv(where there are 2 slots)
According the the manual that group of connectors are component video inputs/audio inputs.

I can't see any audio outputs on that TV at all. Perhaps you need a SCART to RCA audio output adaptor to connect to left and right audio inputs on your amp if available?

The Pr Pb Y jacks are for component video, sometimes known as 'progressive'. You'll get very good picture quality using them. If your DVD player has Pr Pb Y jacks, you can connect it direct to the equivalent jacks on the TV or via the Pr Pb Y jacks on your amplifier. If your DVD player has an HDMI jack, then use that instead and connect to the HDMI jack on the TV. These Pr Pb Y connections are not for audio, you might damage your TV if you connect audio to them. On the TV, look for red/white audio output jacks (most have them, check your manual) and connect them to the red/white CD input jacks on your amplifier or a spare audio input jack for a video source, see page 15 of your amplifier's manual.

Back of the tv is [broken link removed]

Also 3 Ext3/SVhs3 at side red yellow white

Back of the amp is [broken link removed]

So do I connect TV to amp as per [broken link removed]

If so where do I connect to on amp?

Or do I connect it as per [broken link removed]

Where do I connect this on amp ?

So if I am watching a match or film on TV dont have to watch it with DVD player on

Thanks

Back of the tv is [broken link removed]

Also 3 Ext3/SVhs3 at side red yellow white

Back of the amp is [broken link removed]

So do I connect TV to amp as per [broken link removed]

If so where do I connect to on amp?

Or do I connect it as per [broken link removed]

Where do I connect this on amp ?

So if I am watching a match or film on TV dont have to watch it with DVD player on

Thanks

If you want to connect the TV to the amp (in that direction) so that the sound from the TV is decoded into surround sound on the amp and sent to 5.1 speakers, then according to the diagram you posted, as both SCARTS are input and output, you should able to output from one of the SCARTs and input to the amp. I would suggest no. 2 (EXT2) as no. 1 (EXT1) should be reserved for bringing the DVD picture in as only no. 1 is RGB compatible which is the best SCART picture available.

As Clubman says, you need to buy a [broken link removed] (otherwise known as [broken link removed], or SCART to yellow/red/white) cable from Peats or Maplin.

For DVD watching, if your DVD has HDMI, you would connect the HDMI output from the DVD into the HDMI input on the TV. However, you will then find that when watching DVDs you will have sound from the TV as well as the amp which is probably not what you want (unless you don't have a centre speaker in your 5.1 system and even then you might not find this a good solution as you might have a sound delay between the TV and the amp). As HDMI includes both video and audio signal, this is slightly tricky to solve. The simplest way is to buy a HDMI to DVI cable as DVI only carries the video and buy a DVI to HDMI adaptor for the TV end.

You might find that your TV has an Internal Mute (mine doesn't alas) in which case carrying the sound via HDMI won't be a problem as you can mute the TV when watching DVDs through the amp. After all, it might be useful to be able to just watch DVDs on the TV without the amp being on, as you say below.

If your DVD has no HDMI, then assuming it has a SCART (preferably an RGB SCART - usually the first one) then connect this to the 1st SCART EXT1 on your TV. The problem here again is that you will then have surround sound from the amp AND the TV when watching DVDs. Again, the Internal Mute (if available) will get around this. Otherwise, you could use a cable which is the reverse of the one above i.e. 3 RCA to SCART and only connect the yellow or video cable on the DVD end. Be careful, some of these cables e.g. the Maplin one I linked to above have an Input/Output switch for reversing the signal direction but some of them on sale in Peats for example don't so you need to be sure you get the right cable. (Or, as a 2nd option, buy an S-Video to SCART if your DVD has this.)

If you have HDMI and RGB SCART on your amp, then you could connect the HDMI as the primary source for watching DVDs through the TV and connect just the video signal as above (1 connected of the 3 RCA to SCART) to EXT1 on the TV and connect the sound to the amp via a Digital or Coaxial cable.

Cheers Monsieur Bond

Will have a look at this and see if I can work it out

There are more wires than a border check point around the tv

Have VCR hooked up to DVD-R so I can record old video tapes
NTL cable into VCR and scart and aux cable going from vcr into dvdr

Scart also going from DVD-r to TV along with other cables

Also have PS 2 hooked up and Archos Av540 I use at times

No digital / sky box thank god

Then there is the amp, four speakers, center speaker and subwoofer

Its been emotional to say the least to set it up

had a similar situation some months ago when I bought a new LCD TV.Solved it by buying a 2 phono into one stereo jack.The stereo jack goes into the Tv headphone socket and the 2 phonos into the Red and White audio in on Amp-hey presto sound on all speakers.
Using the headphone jack mutes the sound through the TV only but u need to crank up the volume much more then u usually does-but it works well.

Cheers Monsieur Bond

Will have a look at this and see if I can work it out

There are more wires than a border check point around the tv

Have VCR hooked up to DVD-R so I can record old video tapes
NTL cable into VCR and scart and aux cable going from vcr into dvdr

Scart also going from DVD-r to TV along with other cables

Also have PS 2 hooked up and Archos Av540 I use at times

No digital / sky box thank god

Then there is the amp, four speakers, center speaker and subwoofer

Its been emotional to say the least to set it up

It is hard to tell from the diagram but if the amp is an AV amp then it should have video input and outputs. So, you should be able to use as an AV switchbox i.e. have as many devices as possible connected to it (using the 3 x RCAs i.e. yellow video + red/white stereo, or else S-Video + red/white stereo) and only have one output to the TV's SCART input. So, you would leave your TV on AV1 and switch the amp between inputs for PS2, Archos, DVD recorder, DVD playback, and you would only have to change to HDMI input on the TV when you want the sharpest picture for your HDMI DVD player.

Of course if it was an HDMI switching amp then you could carry everything to the TV with one cable but HDMI amps are expensive.

Have looked at your photos and I also have a Philips LCD and the connections at the back look the same .The problem I found is that there is no obvious Audio Out-unless the HDMI covers this-I have not bothered because I dont have HD TV-so the only other way of getting the sound out of the Tv was as outlined previously from the headphone socket-also cheaper then HDMI cable
U have also made me jealous as I find that amp very attractive:)

I dont know if it has been mentioned allready (I cant be bothered reading all posts) but if do that be careful you're not overloading the amp inside the tv.
Cause the amp in the tv is made for small speakers not Rockn'Roll amps.
Otherwise have fun bud!!

Just found out I dont have a headphone socket at the side !!!

Back of the tv looks like This (pdf file)

Trying to hook up the Archos AV400 using the cradle

The fact that there is no audio yellow, white and red socket at the front or side of the tv could not get it working

anyone got any ideas

Have looked at your photos and I also have a Philips LCD and the connections at the back look the same .The problem I found is that there is no obvious Audio Out-unless the HDMI covers this-I have not bothered because I dont have HD TV-so the only other way of getting the sound out of the Tv was as outlined previously from the headphone socket-also cheaper then HDMI cable
U have also made me jealous as I find that amp very attractive:)

Your SCARTs may also be for both input and output, similar to the diagram posted. So a SCART to 3 x RCA will give you yellow (video) and red/white (stereo right/left).

I also have a similar Philips LCD TV but have not actually tried connecting the TV to the amp in that direction. Will check it out over the weekend to ensure it works as I think it does.

Just found out I dont have a headphone socket at the side !!!

Back of the tv looks like This (pdf file)

Trying to hook up the Archos AV400 using the cradle

The fact that there is no audio yellow, white and red socket at the front or side of the tv could not get it working

anyone got any ideas

As with Irishgunner above, try a SCART to 3 x RCA (also known as SCART to 3 Phono) cable - you will probably find that at least one of the SCARTS can act as output or input. Be sure you get the right direction cable as not all such cables are bidirectional.

Your SCARTs may also be for both input and output, similar to the diagram posted. So a SCART to 3 x RCA will give you yellow (video) and red/white (stereo right/left).

I also have a similar Philips LCD TV but have not actually tried connecting the TV to the amp in that direction. Will check it out over the weekend to ensure it works as I think it does.

Mmm-thats interesting-would be interested to hear if that works-dont have such a cable to hand myself-but if it works will get one.

Got the Archos working

Picked up a scart adapter from the Euro shop and you can switch it between in and out and worked ok

Still trying to figure out how to connect the tv to the amp so I can watch the tv with surround sound

Back