Hooking up a laptop to TV

Hibernicatio

Does anyone have any idea how to connect a laptop to TV. The laptop is a Dell Latitude 800 and the TV is a one year old Phillips.

I presume it is possible to do this? What type of cable would I need to buy, and where would i get it?

Any help would be much appreciated.

need a bit more info i'm afraid, is it a LCD tv or a CRT, does it have DVI or HDMI inputs?

Sorry, have no idea what that means:eek:

The TV is not a flatscreen, just a regular TV, all be it fairly new. There are scart inputs in the TV, and also three colour coded slots in the side. Red, white and yellow I think.

As for the laptop, I dont know, there is a round slot in the back with a logo that looks like a TV with an aerial, about 1cm across.

Hope that helps

Sorry, have no idea what that means:eek:

The TV is not a flatscreen, just a regular TV, all be it fairly new. There are scart inputs in the TV, and also three colour coded slots in the side. Red, white and yellow I think.

As for the laptop, I dont know, there is a round slot in the back with a logo that looks like a TV with an aerial, about 1cm across.

Hope that helps

Your TV may have a VGA input which would be the best method.

If it has a DVI or HDMI input, you can get a VGA to DVI converter if your laptop doesn't have a DVI output (which I don't think it does).

Finally, this laptop has a S-Video output so you could buy an S-Video cable if your TV has this input. (Note: you may need a 7 pin to 4 pin S-Video cable but you might not - try a normal one first.)

And - last and least - if your TV only has a yellow RCA (composite video) input then you can get a S-Video to Composite cable.

For audio, you will probably need a 2.5mm jack to 2 RCA (white and red stero jacks) or possibly a 2.5mm jack to 2.5mm jack if using your TV's Headphone input.

Voil[FONT=&quot]à[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT].

Have a look on wikipedia.org for "vga connector" and "dvi connector" to see what they look like and then compare them to your laptop and tv.

also "s-video connector" etc..

shouldnt be too hard once you establish exactly what output on the laptop (believe it has S-video and DVI) and what input available on the tv.

and then finally its a case of getting the cable which matches them both as monsieurbond mentioned.

If still unsure then post the exact make and model of the tv and laptop and we can help more.

Last edited:
Back