Hong Kong stopover

Perplexed

Hi. I'm staying in Hong Kong for 2nts on my way back from Australia.

Any suggestions re places to see or things to do, bearing in mind that I'm a solo traveller & female. I might do a little shopping but it's not high on my agenda. Seeing the sights is far more important to me.

Try and have a window table for dinner here when it is dark, the sky scrapers put on a stunning show and the tram is quite cool. I only got to spend 12 hours there, but it is a breath taking city. The ferry is very good at sunset, great view of the skyline, and the city is just teeming with life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Peak

Great City, try to fit in some of the following:
- Star Ferry to Kowloon
- Racing in Happy Valley or Sha Tin
- Stanley Market
- Victoria Peak
- Macau
- Some of the smaller islands offer great deals on food.
I flew with Cathay PAcific and they offer a check in service in the centre of town. Very handy if your flight is later in the day. Rooms tend to be small, especially in Kowloon. Stayed in a hotel called Jia last time around on HK Island. Check out Trip Advisor.

The Star Ferry is worth an hour of your time for the view of the HK Island skyline, especially at night. Victoria Peak is also well worth a visit for the opposite view, overlooking the harbour.

Take the bus to Stanley Market and sit right up front on the top deck for an *interesting* experience.

Lan Kwai Fong if you're looking for a bit of nightlife.

Wonderful ! thanks guys. I love getting ideas before I go to a place. You can get bamboozled with too many options when you look up websites etc. With so little time I want to decide the must do things.

Do you think it's safe for a woman to walk around & go on ferries at night ?

A lot of the suggestions speak of the night skyline & from photos it does look spectacular.

Didn't feel unsafe, although i didn't travel on my own and oh, i'm not a woman.

HK is generally busy in all areas, day & night. Star Ferry in particular should have plenty of tourists on board. The crowds in the night markets in Kowloon can be a bit overbearing. (I found the markets in Stanley to be of better quality and less prone to hassle). If in doubt, hop in a taxi. They're cheap and plentiful.

just back from there myself on the way back from oz...amazing place..completely safe for walking around ...and I'd second Mister H its a manic please..ppl everywhere all the time... and they love their shopping.. designer shops everywhere..if thats your cup of tea check out pacific place (shopping centre) on hong kong island..

Thanks for all the comments. I walked around Bangkok on my own & never had problems, though I never did it late at night.

If taxi's are cheap & plentiful as Mr H says then I guess I shouldn't have any problems.

Can't wait to see the "interesting" sight from the top of the bus to Stanley Market !

Star ferry & Victoria Peak are definitely on my list ..... & maybe just a little bit of shopping as I believe it's almost obligatory in HK.f

Really looking forward to it now & planning the sights I want to see.

A trip to the Big Buddha via the cable car is nice.

shopping obligatory? yes. Good prices for contact lens / glasses, shoes, medical checkups and hairdressing...

Hi Deirdra,

Can you buy contact lens ? I wear daily disposables which are quite expensive so that could be a good idea. A girl can never have too many shoes !
Thanks for the advice. I'm more a sightseer than shopper but if I know something to look out for I definitely go for it

That cable car trip sounds good too.

Perplexed, I also wear the daily disposables and bought a years supply recently in HK. Sounded like a great idea until I went to pack them in my suitcase and mad me think very seriously about laser surgery...
Optical shops are ten-a-penny in HK, so bargain hard, expect to get 20% off the original price. Probably prices are cheaper Kowloon side.

Langham Place is pretty nice if you want the bustle of Kowloon side and convenient for transport and airport too.

Back