Honeymoon In Thailand

J

judge

Looking at going on homeymoon next may. For value for money all roads seem to be leading to Thailand and Ko Smui. All thoughts and advice please.

koh samui

did thailand for our honeymoon. went up north to chiang mai for a 5 days, down to bangkok for 4 days (its all you'll need) and then on to koh samui for 8.

A lot depends on when youre going, rainy season really is rainy season. We went in august which is jsut starting the wet season and in chiang mai it was warm but it literally pissed down, scenery was amazing tho. Bangkok was overcast but hottish while koh samui was very hot but overcast. Everywhere we went was excellent, food, people, shows, everything. price of everything was also a fraction of here. Definitely recommend.
Bring an empty suitcase. The markets in bangkok have every labelled piece of apparel under the sun for next to nothing. If you decide to go post back and I'll give you more details.

Re: koh samui

thanks car - thats the type of feedback i was looking for. you know yourself that for them h/m you dont want to get it wrong!

you know yourself that for them h/m you dont want to get it wrong!

You're dead right there!

doh - was hoping for some more reassuring posts. Its true my fate is sealed.

Thailand

We also did Thailand for our honeymoon with Trailfinders and had a fantastic time. We did Bangkok (2 nights), Koh Samui (10 nights) and Hong Kong (3 nights). We loved Bangkok, more than we expected because we'd heard such mixed reports. We stayed in Tongsai Bay Cottages & Suites in Koh Samui, fantastic place, I'm not sure we would have liked Koh Samui as much only for this place, the service and staff are second to none. Chaweng (sp?) the main resort in Koh Samui was disappointing in my mind, it's noisy, commercial and smelly, not at all what I was expecting but once we got used to it it grew on us. Definitely agree with last poster, bring as little as you can in your suitcase going over, stuff is so cheap over there.

Re: Thailand

thanks Coyote. We are looking at something similar. The shangrila in Bangkok and Tongsai Bay Cottages in Samui. The hong kong thing is a new idea; what made you go here? did it add much to the overall cost? What time of the year did you go ?

samui

samui is relaxing during the day. Its about 30 mins to get around the island. We stayed only a minute from chaweng, cant 'member the place we stayed in but it was double doors out on to our own beach. Met other couples who stayed down a bit from chaweng and they said it was very quiet.
Did tours during the day, went to marine parks, snorkling, deep sea fishing, skidoos etc. Just brill. Ate in a restarant called poppys every night. Top notch stuff. The night clubs are a bit much as theyre all blaring, beside each other and very busy. The lady boys are a laugh if you treat them as such.

Didnt enjoy bangkok that much, the few days we were there covered it. I was going to go mad if I seen another temple. One will do thanks. Go and see a "show" in the patpong market, get all your clothes in the patpong too. People say to get a suit made overnight for about 50e, I wasnt mad on the quality so didnt bother.
Go to the MBK shopping mall. 7 floors. We were there 4 hours and only got 3 in. Beware the stink of street chefs cooking squid/octopus every 30 yards. ugghhhhhhh...

If going to chiang mai, (1hrs flight north from BK) do elephant trekking, silk worm factories, diamond factories, mountain temples, rafting. You wont be disappointed.
One thing, if buying pressies, chiang mai was cheaper then BK, and BK was cheaper then Koh Sam, and you get all the exact same clothes/trinkets/copy dvds everywhere.

Christ, how did we fit it all in......

My honeymoon in Asia

Also did Thailand for honeymoon this year. I booked it all myself, as I usually refuse package deals.

We flew to three places in Asia, Thailand, Hong Kong and Dubai. Flights were 750 each from London flying with www.emirates.com. We flew ryanair to london.

We were told time and time again not to book accomodation until you get to Thailand. So we didn't. Arrived in Bangkok and bokoed hotel for one night for about 40 euro. Full air conditioned. That evening we went to internet cafe and booked flight (www.bangkokair.com) from Bakgkok - Krabi - Samui - Bangkok. €130 each. We didn't book it earlier as we weren't sure what to do.

We flew the next morning and landed in Krabi. We then got the boat to Koh Phi Phi. This was a hightlight for us. We had 7 days before the Krabi Samui flight, and were going to spend 3 nights in Koh Phi Phi and the 4 in Krabi. We loved Koh Phi Phi so much we stayed for 6. No cars on the island, but lively. We satyed in Andaman apartments. Private bungalow, ensuite, clean bathroom, a/c €22 a night.

Then we went to samui. Liked it also but not as much as phi phi. Really lively though (with great irish bar), and accomodation was about the same.

We booked all the accomodation when we arrivesd on each island. I would deffo recommend not to book until you arrive. I know it is your honeymoon, but so cheap over there.

Three days there then back to bangkok for 2. Enough time in bangkok if you ask me as it is a mad place. nice to see but pure mad.

Hong Knog was next. We went for 3 days and satyed in renaissance. €99 a night for really central hotel. Very sticky city, and rainy. neither of us liked it that much, but great to see the different culture.

From there onto dubai for 5 nights. Stayed in lovely sheraton jumeriah beach for €85 a night. Maybe it was after Thailand ( where you would get a meal for 3 for €5), but Dubai was other extreme. Realyl expensie, but again ncie to see. We spend 5 nights and just relaxed after a lot of walking in hong kong./

Hope this helps. Thailand was deffo the highlight. Would go back tomorrow, both of us felt like that. If I was you I would deff try and price it with tour and then price yourself. Emirates are an amazing airline. Loads of leg room, nice planes (own telly etc).

If you have any further questions, pm me or post them here and I will try and answer them.

Cheers

Re: My honeymoon in Asia

I certainly enjoyed Bangkok for the shopping / general buzz around the place ... Not everyone's cup of tea but certainly worth at least day or two ... if you shop around there can be great hotel deals too .. there are some really fabulous Hotels in Bangkok that you can get for a fraction of what you'd pay elsewhere .. as it is your honeymoon why not spoil yourself by staying somewhere really fancy.

I have not been to Samui but I believe it is nice - though a lot busier than it used to be

Went to Phuket and wasn't very impressed - I found it a bit too "resorty" and very busy .. for food etc the prices were much higher and the quality lower than the rest of Thailand.

On a practical point for getting to there when choosing flights .. generally on the outbound flights there are two choices

1) Flights Departing Europe late morning / lunchtime arriving into Bangkok early the following morning (flight time to BKK is around 11hrs + the time difference))
2) Flights Departing Europe late at night arriving into BKK the following afternoon

If possible go for #2 as the jet lag is much less of a problem since you will get on the plane and be likely to get some sleep late at night. With option #1 you will get on the plane at lunchtime and be awake for most if not all the flight and thus be in jet lag hell when you arrive.

For the Return Journey again there are 2 choices

1) Day flights leaving BKK in the mid-morning arriving into Europe in the afternoon/early evening (flight appears shorter because you "subtract" the time difference)
2) Night flights leaving BKK around midnight arriving into Europe very early the following morning

Again #2 is the better option here - even more so than the outbound leg

Unless you are planning to stop off for a few days in Dubai I wouldnt' consider Emirates / other Middle Eastern Airlines ... The flight isnt that long really to need to break it up with a stopover... and while the shops in Dubai airport are fantastic their attraction is kind of limited at 2 in the morning (when your stopover could well be)

Don't spend too much time in Bangkok. Shopping in night market is a real bargain.
Go to Phi phi island or Chang Mai instead.
Patong and Phuket are crowded and commercialized now.

Thai people are very kind and gentle. However, some part of city (Bangkok) may be rough so don't bring any valuables.
Wear simple clothes, plastic watches, no jewellries etc.

If you have time, Singapore is more interesting and nearer than Hong Kong. 2 days in Sing is enough.

I would highly recommend flying on Thai Airways. Very good service and exotic food on board.

Make sure you have anti-Hepatitis vaccinations.
Have a wonderful and safe holiday in Thailand. You won't regret it.

I'd only recommend Ko Phi Phi if you want to dive or snorkel. Alternatively you can go out to where they filmed the beach and frolic around naked if that's what you're into :)

Koh Pha Ngan is a great place too - but avoid full moon parties if you want a bit of peace and queit.
The wst side of the island has some beautiful spots too - we stayed in one very plush air-con'd place for like 20 euro a night or something. Nice - except that they food poisoned me!
Very clam and peaceful over that side of the island though. Not like Haadrin at all.

Koh Samui is nice - Chaweng is defo the place to go IMO.

Avoid Phuket like the preverbial plague.

Singapore was a bit boring I thought. 2 days would definitely suffice.

Hong Kong is an interesting place but not all that interesting. Make sure you do a tour of the islands - Langtau (sp?). They have the biggest sitting Buddha in the world there. Fantastic stuff. Now there's a god I could get into - obviously drinks too much beer and is blissfully happy about it. There's also a little island beside it the name of which escapes me now. It was real old style Hong Kong. We saw rats as big as labradors. Great stuff altogether.

Bangkock is one of those places you love or you hate. I could take it or leave it. It's very sleazy but it's a funny place too. Go to patpong for one night. It's hilarious, sad and frightening all at the same time. We ended up in a ladyboy show by accident (honest!!). Some very funny stories to tell. Anyway - it's an experience regardless.
Go to the palace thingy (brain asleep this morning) too. Ignore friendly locals who tell you that today is a national holiday and the palace is closed.

Thai people are very nice - but be careful in Bangkock and if you are lost or need assistance DO NOT ASK A POLICEMAN'S help. That's a bit like sidling up to the devil. They are corrupt and would just as soon rob you as help you.

Back