Honeymoon in South Africa.

Dman

Hi,

I'm hoping people here can help me out. We're planning on having our honeymoon in SA. Have nothing booked anything yet as we have plenty of time.

Hoping to hit an island for a few days for plenty of R&R, then see a bit of South Africa e.g. Capetown etc and then do a safarri.

Would I be better off booking the whole packgage or booking the trip in bits e.g. flights, acc etc.
Does anyone know good agents that do whole packages to SA???

Any information and help would be much appericated.

We are recently back from our honeymoon in SA, it's a great choice. We found it cheaper to book it ourselves...we used and then the web for all accomodation and restaurants. You didn't say what time of year you were going - if it's high season (Dec/Jan) then booking is essential, even for lunch in some places! Trailfinders or Twohigs will book it for you among many others. It really depends on what you like to do - some find it takes the stress and hassle out of the honeymoon if it's all booked for them, we didn't feel like that as we really enjoyed choosing our destinations. Also there are some places we went that were FAB - and they were slightly off the beaten package track so there's that advantage too. http://www.joewalshtours.ie/Worldwide/South_Africa/Cape_Town.html fly direct once a week from Dublin to Cape town, we met people who had done this and didn't enjoy the experience. We flew BA, as I said, and it was brilliant, London stopover is hassle free and the fact that there is a very small time difference means you arrive refreshed as they fly overnight (unlike the direct flight).
If you need any more info just ask.

Hello Dman,
[broken link removed] is a very nice small hotel in Hermanus. I booked this through Trailfinders. Greyton is a very charming village an 1 hour from Hermanus. It has a 'quaint charming English village' feel about it. I wouldn't hang around Capetown for that long - many nicer places to see, like Muizenberg and Gordon's Bay.

Check out for accommodation in South Africa. We used them for the 3 years we lived in Africa and for our subsequent return trips.
NB. Some of the prices look expensive until you do the currency conversion.
Only other things I can think of:

Book your hire car at this end rather than when you arrive in South Africa as when we were there last mileage was extra.
Check the distances between destinations - they may be further than you think. Our first drive down to Capetown and having booked hotels etc ahead, I made a total mess of the scale and drove 1200 km on the first day. Not to be recommended.

Avoid driving at night wherever possible.

Do not give lifts to people along the road. Sadly, it is no longer safe to do so.

Enjoy the trip.

Just back from South Africa with my better half but not on a honeymoon....

Did Kruger and go on an early drive and night time drive if you want to see anything if you go there 3 days is enough

We also did the garden route. Hire a car from www.aroundaboutcars.com they are the cheapest over there. Did Port Elizabeth(avoid) Jeffreys Bay -great but full of surfers still nice,plettenberg Bay, Knysa - well worth seeing, Mossel Bay- good bit industrial, Swellendam, Montague -for some R&R, Stellenbosh -Student town but Franschhoek is quieter and Capetown

we booked flights with Trailfinders and the rest on the net with help from various websites www.roomsforafrica.com and the lonely planet guide book. Did not book anything on the garden route just turned up at the tourist office.Recommend picking up a sim card about a €5.

Cheap as chips along the garden route. Capetown bit more expensive but not to Dublin standards. Go to Robben Island, Table mountain, Cape Point & township tour.Waterfront is nice but its a tourist trap

Driving is safe enough but dont drive at night. When getting petrol tip the attendents about 2 ran

Food is great if you love your meat and try the chocolate steaks in Madame Zingara in Capetown.

Need any other info PM me

Is there still electricity in Capetown? Africa's only nuclear reactor in Koeberg-supplying Capetown- had a near meltdown only a couple of days ago.....what's about a holiday in Belarus?
Check the South-African press before you go !!!

heinbloed said:
Is there still electricity in Capetown? Africa's only nuclear reactor in Koeberg-supplying Capetown- had a near meltdown only a couple of days ago.....what's about a holiday in Belarus?
Check the South-African press before you go !!!

This was ongoing when we were over there, mind you there is local elections on??

power goes down, without warning, for a couple of hours and there is no back up. All the shops and restaurants close bit annoying. Also delays the cable up to table mountain but then again so does the wind factor

I wouldn't fear the blackout as such but the consequences when the radioactivity of Koeberg reaches the city. Every one in SA is entitled to hold a loaded gun in his hand but not every one has a car to get away.......ransacking New York's shopping malls would be a rather pleasant experience compared to what to expect when the cooling of the reactor breaks down finally.

wa there last feb on honeymoon.
Was recommended Hog Hollow to stay in on the garden route

see link http://www.hog-hollow.com/

superb place for food & accomodation - bit pricey but well worth it, could only stay one night as it was booked out 9 months in advance!!

Back