Honeymoon advice

eamonn

Looking for ideas to start planning a beginning the last 2 weeks of May 2007. Should I go for a package or do it independently. Any particular area to avoid that time of the year. I suppose being May it will have to be Northern Hemisphere. Any tips greatly appreciated.

We booked ours 2 week Malaysian 5-star luxury honeymoon through Tropical Places in Dublin 2 and found them very helpful, and not at all trying to get us to spend money that we didn't want, while still getting us great value.

I'm wary of giving you advise on where to go, as each to their own, but...
I got married this last January and the best bit of honeymoon advise I got was don't plan on doing anything for the first 3-4 days, you will just sleep! And they were right, we booked a beach hotel and barely left it, managing about 15 hours sleep each day!
You will be amazed at how tired you actually are, no matter how relaxed you will feel on the day, it does take it out of you.
As for location, decide what suits you best, all relaxing beach type holiday, or maybe you prefer to sightsee...
What sort of budget are you planning on spending?
Do you both have a 'once in a lifetime' holiday wish, like the Orient Express or stay at the Ritz, your honeymoon is the best time to do it!

Well best of luck to you

Mell 61 has it so right...and I was only the groom!!
...the best bit of honeymoon advise I got was don't plan on doing anything for the first 3-4 days, you will just sleep!
Fulfill a dream and have a great time.

Trailfinders and Tropical Places are really good for sound advice...there are plenty of places to go around the globe where May is still well warm/hot! Just avoid hurricane seasons!!

Def. worth checking out this site too.....

http://www.honeymoondesigner.com/

Just a tip - LOADS of brides get a little depressed after the excitement of the big day - plenty of tears the next day or at the airport - try and get some photos developed for her to look over while on honeymoon or alternatively plan the honeymoon for later in the year - you may have a better choice of destinations and it will be something for her to look forward to!

I agree with Lorz

We had our honeymoon in 3 stages! Stage 1 before the wedding we went to Venice for a long weekend (after sending out the invites adn all the rows that brings!) Stage 2 was a three night stay in a hotel here in Ireland (we were living in Jersey when we got married so made sense to stay a couple of extra days in Ireland) Stage 3 was the big one - a year later. Spent a couple of weeks travelling and did what my wife always wanted to do - got remarried ona beach in Fiji at Sunset. FANTASTIC!

mell61 said:
the best bit of honeymoon advise I got was don't plan on doing anything for the first 3-4 days, you will just sleep!
Hear, hear - Why not get a cheap/cheerful couple of weeks in this sun this year - somewhere within 4 hours flying time. Keep your money for a fancy holiday next year, when you will be in a better position to enjoy it.

All the points above are valid... we got married 18 months ago and spent our 2 week honeymoon in the US - 4 nights in NYC, a week on Cape Cod & 3 nights in Boston.

While we had the most sensational holiday, we were hopping from place to place, barely unpacking before we were changing location... and for the first few days you will be wrecked as you start to unwind after the madness of the wedding.

I remember sitting on the flight to NYC, talking about the wedding day with the new husband, and starting to bawl my eyes out because it was just so damn emotional thinking about what a cracking day we had. The wonderful lady who was crew on the flight came over, said she did exactly the same thing on her honeymoon flight... and then filled us with champagne!

Don't go too far - the jet lag is a b*tch and could make you grumpy... the last thing you want is a row on HM (although from experience, most couples have one!!!). One of my friends has just come back from her HM in Mauritius & while she loved it, she'd never take a 13 hour flight again.. it was just too long for her. I think if you both have been to Oz or the Far East before, you'd be better prepared for a long-haul trip.

Stay in the one spot rather than moving around from place to place, so you truly get a chance to unwind

Buy your wife a lovely pressie on honeymoon as a reminder of what a great time you had (my diamond ring is glinting on my finger as I type... and hubs got a stunning watch from me on the day of the wedding)

And plan a very special holiday for your 1st anniversary. If you can't manage to get away, book dinner and an overnight in the hotel you got married in... MAJOR brownie points!!!!

we're planning the domanican republic for 2 weeks in Jan 08 and later on that year a nice trip to italy.

we are going to book with access travel, i rang a few travel agants to get guide prices even for 07 and none were really helpful. access were great and getting a guide price was not a problem.

we're staying in this place [broken link removed]

We opted for a west med cruise,(wanted eastern med, but booked out) it was fantastic, we got to go lots of places, see many different countries in europe, new day new city, and didnt have to pack more than once, well we actually stayed two days in barcelona before crusie an one after so we did a bit of packing, but not that much.

Fantastic food, and people not as old as one would expect.

Would love to do it again, week just wasnt long enough

all these lovely posts have encouraged me to plan the honeymoon...now to find the other half! ;-)

Lauren, when you find him make sure you check his AAM profile to see that he can afford the honeymoon of your dreams!!! ;)

Spent the whole 2 weeks in Sorrento - stayed in the Villa Bianca suites in Hotel Bristol there (http://www.bristolsorrento.com/). Loved every minute of it! Only back 3 weeks and wish to God I was back there!!!

We decided that we wanted to go somewhere that we could relax, but also do some touring if we so pleased. As neither of us had been to Italy we decided that with a 3.5 hour flight it was ideal as we also didn't want to spend days travelling.

After approaching a number of agents and getting no joy from them we booked our flights online, and the hotel directly - getting a great deal of €200 per night for the suite - B&B. They upgraded us on mention of honeymoon - quoting us for a lower range suite.

The only advice I could give, is think about what you want from the honeymoon - do you want relaxation, adventure, sightseeing, etc... You will be wrecked after the wedding day - definitely don't travel out until at least 2 days after it. We wanted to have a relaxing holiday, but with places to visit in the area if we wanted to leave our suite/hot-tub on the terrace!

Enjoy - I'm so jealous, I'd love to be back at the planning stages again and have the day ahead of me! That's not to say I'm not happy to be married to my hubbie... but the day is unimaginably fantastic!

Our story - we left it till 2 days after to fly out (tied up loose ends, slept and argued about the stuff which was fudged on the day:eek: , spent time with guests who had travelled and packed for the HM). We went to the outskirts of Lisbon for 10 days on a package - it was about €1500 B&B in hotel in total cause we were broke paying for the day. It was definately fantastic to split the holiday between city and country as well as the beach and poolside.
Just a thought - most folks told us don't think its going to be the best holiday of your lives because it may not be. And for us it made sense - we spent what we could afford and had a gorgeous holiday as we were after paying for the wedding in total ourselves.
This year we are planning the "big" holiday to the states & canada for 6 weeks. - it is costing a bomb and will be "on paper" far better than our honeymoon but honestly i think nothing will take from the honeymoon and its nice to have something to look forward to after the wedding scenario had passed. I do agree that when you are planning for a year or two, the anticlimax after a wedding can be tough for a week or two.

Back