Honda Civic 3 door hatch '96-00

Caveat

Hi

Will probably be looking for one of these in a few months time. I like the car and have done my research on faults/reliability etc, checked honestjohn, but am hoping current or ex drivers of these can give me some more detail.

E.g. the model distinction is a little confusing - Vtechs and type R aside, are these all 1.4L? what is bhp? Anything quirky or unusual to report? Is the ride (presuming unmodified) quite firm or just the one I've driven?
Even given the Civic reliability reputation am I looking for trouble with something of this vintage?

Not completely stuck on Civic BTW - if there are any other suggestions.

Criteria is: 3 door hatch, v reliable, a little sporty (around 100bhp or +) but not too ostentatious, & budget is around 3-4K

Would appreciate suggestions

A Type R is the Golf Gti competitor-insurance costs will be much higher, engine is 1.8/2.0

But the civic would be more reliable and a better drive (and cheaper).
It would also be smaller and less safe in a crash.

EK is the model you are looking at. There was a slight change to the look of the car in 1999 which gave it different front end (only slightly!!)

Engines range from 1.3L - 1.6L (Vtec and non Vtec...)

The 1.6L Vtec (B16a) are the best in the range. The Irish/UK model is called the Vti and produces about 160bhp. The Japanese version (which I currently drive) is called the SiR and produces about 168bhp. Its the same engine but the exhaust is differnet and the cams are set more aggressivly and the ECU is mapped differently too. Mine is equipped with a limited slip differential.

Then there is the Type R which uses the same size engine but is has different internals to give it 185bhp. This engine is called B16b

Honda's always come up at the top of reliability charts and as long as you look after them (regular servicing) they are more or less bullet proof.

My car is a 1997 and has about 100,000kms on it and it sailed through the NCT earlier this year. The guy doing the test couldnt believe how good the car was for its age. He even asked me would I be willing to sell it... I've had it dyno'd recently and since the day it left the Honda factory in Japan in 1997 it hasnt lost a single bhp which is fantastic..

Any more questions just ask..

Thanks RonanC

When you say 'EK' do you mean that this is the version of the model I should be looking for? i.e. Honda Civic 1.4 EK? I don't remember seeing this. Maybe it's Honda's engine type reference?

Some of the engines you mention sound great but TBH don't really need anything in the order of 160+bhp and my budget (3-4K) would certainly rule this out anyway. What sort of power would a basic, non Vtec 1.4 deliver? and what do you reckon as to the ride quality of something like this?

Anything else you can tell me about this type of Civic would be great.

Thanks

Some insurance co's don't like these cars. Too popular with the boy racers/chavs apparently.

the 1.4L Irish civic would produce about 90bhp. I've been in a few of these and they are just as good to drive and are pretty comfortable too.

"EK" is the chassis code on nearly all of the Hatchbacks (96-00). The model before it (92-95) is called the "EG" the model after (01-05) are called "EP"

Thanks again

What about something slightly more powerful e.g. 100-110 bhp?
Or am I into Vtec then with higher prices? - anything in beween performance wise?

Back