Honda Accord 2002 - power steering pump

quinno

Sounds like my power steering is giving some problems (car has 68k mile on clock). Although the steering works fine, the pump makes a failr loud whirring noise when the engine is started, followed by an increase in noise when I turn the wheel left / right. I have listened to this with the bonnet up and it is pretty obvious.

Car is due a service - anyone any idea if this is recoverable (i.e. may be just a seal / part within the pump), or a new pump? what is the worst case scenario cost wise?

Last edited:
Sounds like my power steering is giving some problems (car has 68k mile on clock). Although the steering works fine, the pump makes a failr loud whirring noise when the engine is started, followed by an increase in noise when I turn the wheel left / right. I have listened to this with the bonnet up and it is pretty obvious.

Car is due a service - anyone any idea if this is recoverable (i.e. may be just a seal / part within the pump), or a new pump? what is the worst case scenario cost wise?

Hi quinno,
How did you get on with this. Have exactly the same problem on my Honda, and the mechanic has come across it in another accord as well...

Thx...

Black SKy

Luckily, it was just a top up of power steering fluid that did the trick - works nice and smooth now. It sounded nasty, but I would have imagined prolonged use with low fluid could have trashed the pump. Mechanic said no obvious signs of leak, so i'll check it periodically.

Hope yours is ok!

quinno

Where did the power steering fluid go?It can't have just vanished.Keep a good eye on the fluid level. If theres no sign of fluid externally then it must be leaking out of the steering rack into the boots..............It has to go somewhere!!

Back