Honda Accord 2001 Air Con

bigjoe_dub

I have an Honda Accord 2001 for about a year now. When I got it the Air Con was working fine. Lovely cold cold air in the air. With the recent hot spell I have started using the aircon again but alass I am not getting near the cold air I use to.

I got a new cabin pollen filter and managed to fit this. made no difference. Whats my next step? I read somewhere that I may need to get something refilled? is this correct? can independent garages do this or does it have to be a honda dealer?

On a 7 year old car, the chances are your car has never had a an air con service. This should be carried out about every 4years. The gas/oil is removed and changed and makes a huge difference. You will find there are one or two mobile guys going around ( Golden Pages)that do it on the spot. Should be done in about an hour and cost approx €200

Yep air con needs service though I thought it was two years rather than four? depends on the car maybe? afaik the aircon does not be serviced as part of your cars normal service. You can buy a tool in halfords to check the gass level, if it's low you would be better off to get it serviced properly caus aircon parts are expensive.

thanks chaps. will check the GP for the mobile lads. be nice not to have the leave the car with a garage.

I had this problem with a 2002 accord - there is a generic problem with the Accords of this vintage, easily fixed. One of the A/C hoses develops a leak - it is the one leading from the compressor to the aircon radiator. I got the part from a Honda dealer and had it fitted and the aircon charged by a guy in Meath - took 15 minutes on the spot - check for oily deposit around this hose. Cost about €110 for the charge, €50 for the part (AFAIK). Can PM details later. Some mobile guys wil ldo a re-charge, but won't fit the part - the A/C system has to be purged and de-pressurised to fit this.

BTW - re-charge every 2-3 years recommended for A/C. If it is not leaking, you can dDIY with a kit from Halfords (€60).

Last edited: