homeopathy

Status
Not open for further replies.

annR

Can somebody please tell me how/why homeopathy has become so mainstream? I really object to how it is often referred to as alternative medicine along with herbal medicine and acupuncture etc. I'm not really a follower of any of the alternative treatments but I accept that they may work because there is actually a treatment which is being given. Homeopathy is pure mumbo jumbo yet seems to be nearly universally accepted as a legitimate option. You ask someone for some kind of health advice and it's pretty certain that a 'remedy' will be recommended fairly soon - be it a co worker, the chemist, even your doctor, online, a nurse etc. It's really started to irritate me since I had my baby and from all sides I am being recommended homeopathic remedies for colic and teething etc. I really object to it and it annoys me when I see homeopathic remedies for sale in the chemist, I feel it gives the stuff a legitimacy it should not have - they might as well have a witchdoctor in the corner throwing bones. I really don't understand how it's possible to have university degrees etc in this stuff. If ever there was a scam going, it's this. I think a lot of it has to do with 1) it's cheaper to buy a 'remedy' than go to the doctor or even buy a proper medicine in the chemist 2) doctors don't give their patients enough time or attention these days so people are feeling the need to pay people who will listen to their life story and give them 'holistic' treatments. 3) there must be some serious marketing power behind this, it is not a big business by accident. Obviously there is a fourth reason that that is that people believe in it but to be honest I couldn't be bothered even going there and convincing people they shouldn't believe it. I'm more interested in figuring out how such rubbish has become mainstream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back