Homebase & B&Q Kitchens

chrisoz5

Hi, would love opinions!! Please? Trying to decide on a kitchen, had decided to go with hi-gloss vanilla from cash and carry kitchens €7000, but brought our tile in today and was totally horrible with it, its a creamy neutral tile that we are putting all over the house cos of underfloor heating. looked at another kitchen from express€9000 and it was ok but not really what I want. just seen homebase and b&q have sale on, but their kitchens are flat-packed, is this a total pain or should we just go for it as the kitchens are coming in around €5000 and just get a local carpenter to fit it. Our budget is spiralling out of control everytime we go to C&C and express places! help

thanks sueellen, I do have the brochure, and will go and have a look, de partner is not too keen on flat-packed but now that you have mentioned it I haven't heard anything too bad about their flat-packs being out of stock as in comparison to reviews I've just been reading about homebase and b&q

Homebase were a complete nightmare to deal with when my parents purcashed a kitchen for my grandmother last year.
I used them to purchase a kitchen for my mother in law as the sale price and extra ten per cent was good value but if I was getting it for nothing it would not be worth the hassle.
Took ages to get the kitchen in to the store, then ages to locate it in the stock room.
Parts missing, bits did not fit.
Items they had to re-order took ages.
Steer clear, for the amount of money you are spending you could get a decent kitchen from a regular supplier and save the hassle of flat pack.

I bought a flat packed kitchen from B&Q and installed it myself with very little DIY experience. I found that the units were easy to put together and pretty sturdy (especially when screwed together, to the wall and to the worktop). I also made a mobile island unit which worked out very well.

However, managing to find all the units, doors, handles, drawers, shelves, etc in the same B&Q store was impossible. I bought most parts from B&Q in Newry and Sprucefield as they seemed to be better stocked than Dublin.

Back