Home theatre with wireless rear speakers

personally i wouldn't go with wireless speakers, with all the radio and microwave devices around today there is bound to be some interferance. espc with the thin walls in houses

wires are always best and i'd find it head to look past bose, they are pricey but good !!!

Bought a Pioneer wireless sytem 700e ( 500e for the same model non wireless ) definitely not worth it.
In fact I use my own amp and seperates for the tv dvd now and the wireless just hangs out in spare room. Cant see the advantage once it got into the living room avoid.
The Bose system that Ron recommends, if it is the one I am thinking of is, excellent. Rid of all excess speakers and seperates.

yeah monkey boy does all the work of rear speakers......without them !!!!

bose excelllence through research, and never a more perfect statement, the things they can do with speakers is amazing.

this would be an idea of the system

JohnnieKippe said:
Can anyone recommend Home Theatre systems with wireless rear speakers.
The view from the AV world is still that wireless streaming is not fast or efficient enough for high quality real time music streaming (nor for that matter for video streaming, although this is not what you are asking about).

Possibly when upcoming wireless standards like 802.11n become more prevalent, we might see some systems taking advantage of this. Bear in mind also that wireless rear speakers require power cables, which might not be convenient in all locations either.

Having said all of that, there is an argument that the rear speakers are merely for effect and so the sound quality or occasional interference is not that important. If you are buying an all-in-one-box solution, chances are the output is not going to shake the walls anyway, and while sounding good, is never going to be the last word in high fidelity, so the wireless option is worth considering if you can't wire the rears in.

It's certainly a neater looking solution, so passes the Wife Acceptance Factor test.

Check out this related thread as well.

ah but if you have a den/cinema of your own, who cares about the wife test

but i do agree that advancements mean less need for rear speakers.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Just to clarify, I'm not talking about an audio streamimg product here (I already have Sonos), I'm talking about a traditional DVD player with the six speakers but the 2 rear speakers are wireless (maybe radio waves or something). The Bose product mentioned by some people - is it like the virtual surroound on some tvs i.e. the sound bounces off the wall behindf you. I'm not sure about these. What if there is a room corner behind you as opposed to a flat wall - God knows where the sound would bounce to. What if there is a double door gap behind you - would the sound bounce then.

bose can come and design the product to your room, or so i've been told anyway.

but their "normal" systems are top notch also.

Ron Burgundy said:
bose can come and design the product to your room, or so i've been told anyway.

but their "normal" systems are top notch also.

I wasn't thinking of getting a second mortgage for the setup

what is the normal system.

Ron Burgundy said:
with rear speakers, its on their site, but you can buy through peats.ie

Presume you mean Peats.com, they're pretty expensive, far better buy on-line! One example, I got IXOS scarts online recently for €35 each including shipping, Peats price is €66 each plus €14 shipping!!!

yeah i believe they have a new home theatre room down stairs, i have an old contact in bose, if he still works there i might have to call in a favour when i'm doing my cinema.

Yeah I would go for the bose system 1k ish over the 700e I spent on the Pioneer wireless in a hert beat if I could wind back the clock.
Wireles it may be but you still have 4 wires for the non wireless speakers and dont forget the "wireless" speaker has still to be plugged in!
Contradiction in terms!

well i'm lucky in that i'm putting my cinema in a newly build extension so i can have all wires in place beforehand.

What do you not like about that system you bought ?

Ron,

Which Bose 321 do you recommend ? Is it truw that they do not have a headphone jack for late night listening ?

I have the Bose 321 GS system with speakers on floor stands (2). I don't believe you can buy better than Bose even though, as mentioned previously, it's not cheap kit.

I bought mine at the Bose outlet in Bicester Village, Oxfordshire for approx £900. There they sell the kit that has been out on trial, customers decide they can't afford it (or some other reason) and send it back to Bose. The kit is checked and reboxed and sold at the outlet. I saved approx £400 on mine. Same warranty etc as any other Bose kit.