Home renovations

Lambchops65

Hi there

I’m torn between renovating my current 4 bed semi or selling up & buying new. Trying to work out some budget costs for works if I decide to stay put. Below us what I’m hoping to get done:

Semi solid wooden flooring in hall & sitting room

New fireplace with stove.

Built in alcoves either side of the fireplace

Renovate en suite (v small)-sink corner shower, wc fan & heated rad.

Renovate under stairs wc -small sink & wc

Install large built in tv unit (5m x 500)

Panelling on hall & stairs ( approx 10LM)

Paint whole house (inside)

Knock through wall from master bedroom into small box room & create walk in wardrobe.
Remove built in wardrobes around bed.

new carpet on stairs, landing & 2 bedrooms

soundproof wall in sitting, dining & main bedroom (loud neighbors )

any budget costs would help. Just trying to weigh up doing this work or selling & moving somewhere we’re this is already done!

Thanks

Would you be buying another semi?

I guess 15 to 20k excluding the soundproofing which I have no clue about but sure you'd probably do some of that work to a house you'd buy anyway, certainly the carpets/floors/painting usually.

Last edited:
You will have legal costs and stamp duty to consider if you are selling and buying another property . Can you check and see if a similar property has been sold in your area recently or get a valuation. You can then look for a house and see if the finances work out.

Excluding the sound proofing as I have no idea what that costs I am estimating about 23 - 25k for that list.

Except for the sound proofing, what you've listed is pretty standard 'decorating' level that you would do over the years in a house.

I'd say I've done most of whats on your list, and a good chunk of it as DIY.

If you like the house and location, I don't see any reason to move.

FWIW we had soundproofing done a few years ago. It cost €3k to do a medium-size bedroom wall and bathroom wall. That was with me removing the existing plasterboard, then the sound-proofing company took it from there to the point where it was re-plastered and ready for painting. It was very effective at blocking noises like voices, TV/music etc and worth every penny. It takes somebody with the knowledge to know how sound moves through different materials, but ultimately is not that complicated so shouldn’t cost an arm and a leg. As others have said, if you were renovating anyway then you may well be insulating those walls anyway, so it would not cost much more to have a sound-proofing company do it.

The question for me though is if you have the money, would it be better to try and move to a new house and away from the noisy neighbours. I guess that depends if they are ‘anti-social’ noisy and there are other issues, or just ‘enjoy cheering a football game at the weekend’ noisy.

Thanks all much appreciated.

Suppose to add a bit more of a background. I live alone so wouldn't be doing any of the work myself (don't even own a hammer or drill! lol). I do have some contacts (electrician, painter) so would utilise them were possible.

If I bought new, I would buy a detached. Neighbours are nice but just very loud - coughing, walking in heels, slamming doors, presses etc so I'd need to soundproof if I was planning on staying. They do have the odd party but I don't mind that too much tbh. I've always wanted a detached house but I just wasn't in a position to buy one years ago. @Zenith63 would you mind letting me know who you used for SP if you were happy with them. Thanks.

Well then for me the decision would always be go for the detached, if you were just swapping one semi for another then I might look at the improvements but not if detached was an option.

Rented a lot before I built my own house years ago and never again barring some calamity would I live in semi detached if another choice was available.

@Monbretia thanks was half thinking the same.

Current situation is I have pyrite in my current home. I’ll be moving out when they fix it but could throw some extra money at builders to get it to level I really want (as they just generally replace like with like) or when it’s fixed (with like for like) I could rent or sell my current home.

I’ve inherited parents property (also a 4 bed semi but needs to be gutted as 1970’s house) so could again sell or rent that. You see I’m very confused could sell both (I’ve no mortgage in my home) & upgrade. Both are 4 bed semis. Parents probably worth 330-360k & my own around 360-375k?

any words of wisdom? thanks

Parents probably worth 330-360k & my own around 360-375k?

any words of wisdom? thanks

if it was me I'd consider selling both and moving to a detached house - you could probably buy something fairly nice for that money depending on where you want to live. Unless you absolutely love where you're currently living.

Thanks all much appreciated.

Suppose to add a bit more of a background. I live alone so wouldn't be doing any of the work myself (don't even own a hammer or drill! lol). I do have some contacts (electrician, painter) so would utilise them were possible.

If I bought new, I would buy a detached. Neighbours are nice but just very loud - coughing, walking in heels, slamming doors, presses etc so I'd need to soundproof if I was planning on staying. They do have the odd party but I don't mind that too much tbh. I've always wanted a detached house but I just wasn't in a position to buy one years ago. @Zenith63 would you mind letting me know who you used for SP if you were happy with them. Thanks.
What kind of wall separates you? is a block on flat? Youd be hoping it has a good coat of sand and cement on both sides as well. What is the rough build year? Did you check if you can make improvements in the attic cheaply?

Last edited:
sorry all, I haven't been online and obviously things have changed with Covid 19 etc. Yes indeed, prices will of dropped now for both selling and buying houses.
I was chatting to my neighbours yday and they don't hear any noises so it is just me lol. I'd be pretty noise sensitive anyway (I blame the fact that I'm an only child).
Still undecided as to what to do tbh. Will either put some money into existing home and c. 20-30k into parents and rent that ot else sell both and buy detached.
Thank for all the replies and advice :)

Back