Home networking system

lockster

Coming up to first fix stage of a new build and I'm investigating home network options. Came across IrishHomeNet. and I'm wondering if anybody has any experience of the company or system, good or bad. Any other info, suggestions on home networking advice greatly appreciated.

No experince with these guys, however for a much cheaper alternative, it might be worth investigating these

[broken link removed]

basically runs your network over your electricity wires, basically menas you can have your network available anywhere there is an electricity socket, I think there are even higher speed versions available now, I have this version and the performance is very good , simple and relaible, just plug and play.

I have no connection with Maplin, just a satisfied customer.

If it's a new build and you know where the computers will be, it's probably better and cheaper to get your electrician to run cat 5 cabling and sockets to each room, wired back to an inexpensive router.

Cheers guys for all the tips, I'll check them out. My aim is to have as few sockets as possible per room, with most flexibility and capability.

With advances in wireless networking it may not be necessary to install extra ugly boxes in each room. Makes a room very office like IMHO. Chances are that they may not be in the actual spot you want them anyway.
I would think twice about whether it is really necessary. Have seen people spend a lot of money and never used it. Just left with loads of white boxes around the house as they could not be sure where to position the boxes so they put in 2 or 3 per room. The installers hyped it up, "you can never have enough".

I have the Irish Homenet product, Kerpen. It's fantastic though I admit I'm not getting the full benefit yet as I haven't yet got my home entertainment set-up (Sonus etc). What I like best is the flexibility it allows me, e.g. a single point allows me to connect Sky, internet, phone or all 3. It's also nice and neat.

I used a company called Upstream to install it and wholeheartedly recommend them. They have been only too happy to help with aftersales queries and nothing is too much trouble. I also liked that they gave me lots of info on all my options (not just their own product) without the hard sell. They probably saved me a fortune by working with me to establish what I actually need and will use (as opposed to what I'd like if I won the lotto!).

If anyone wants any more info or contact details let me know. I have no connection other than as a very satisfied customer.

Last edited:
Back