Home-made Salad Ideas

Newbie!

Hi,

Im looking for some ideas for some home-made salads. Normally I just go to Superquinn salad counter but i have too many people for dinner tonight so have decided to make a few myself. Any ideas on what I could make? eg...cous cous or rice salads?

I like cous cous mixed with some steamed veggies. Pumpkin and courgette is nice.

Also i love chickpea salad, some tins of chickpeas mixed with some chopped tomatoes, spring onion, redpepper, parsley and a dressing of olive oil, cumin, lemon juice and lemon zest...mmmmhhh

A lovely fresh greek salad is always welcome. A sweet and sour chilli noodle salad is lovely also with peppers etc in it. Fussili pasta with smoked bacon and tomatoe sauce.

I had people around a few weeks ago and there were two salads that went down particularly well

Moroccan Carrot
* 1 pound carrots, coarsely grated (about 4 cups)
* 1/4 cup vegetable oil or extra-virgin olive oil
* 3 to 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
* 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
* 2 to 4 cloves garlic, mashed or minced
* 1 teaspoon ground cumin or 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin and 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
* Pinch of salt
* About 1/2 teaspoon harissa (Northwest African chili paste), 1 tablespoon minced green chilies, or 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (optional)

Mix everything and leave for a few hours

Roast Baby Potato Salad

Dry some potatoes really well, cut into chunks and toss in oil with some chopped rosemary and thyme. Roast in a hot oven for 15 minutes then add some cloves of garlic (still in their skins) and roast for a further 15 minutes. Remove from oven and splash some red wine vinegar over.

If at this stage you don't find yourself scoffing them all ( they are as good (better?) hot as cold, ) serve at room temperature with more sprigs of rosemary.

mf

It's a secret recipe, but I will disclose, whip yourself into M&S and they have numerous bottles of sauces to choose from which you just add to a salad, all delicious, all taste homemade, worth it, can get inspirations for salads from their sauces.

Baby Potato salad is good. Boiled cold baby potatoes, a dressing of mayo, olive oil and wholegrain mustard, and chopped scallions and chives.

Try also some grated carrot, raisins and sprinkle of white wine vinegar or balsamic. Cous Cous is always a winner.

Back