Home made Easter eggs

G

Geegee

I've got the moulds and am going to have a go at making my own this year. Has anyone any tips on how to use the moulds and the type of chocolate to use etc?

I almost bought egg moulds in a cookery supplies shop - until I asked the sales lady and she listed all the steps - you have to melt chocolate 5-6 times and coat the moulds when choc goes nearly cold - let it set and apply another layer - if you don't it will all collect at the bottom of the mould!
So being ever so practical I ditched that idea and bought little sweet moulds - when I melt choc ONCE I can stick a finger in each mould when nearly cold and fill with liqueur/fruit/nut/raisins/creams of my choice.
But now its just so easy to go to Leonidas counter....!!

Have just put the first layer on each mould and have a couple of questions:
I have only coated the recess with chocolate - should I overlap onto the flat area around the recess also?
Thinking ahead, how do you get the egg out of the mould without breaking it?

Help! it is not working out. I have made three half eggs and I've followed the instructions of plunging the mould into boiling water - I managed to get the smallest one out of the mould but the outside has melted.
The medium sized one is just melting in the mould and will not come out.
The large one has cracked and is melting in the mould.
Can the cracks be repaired? How can I get them out of the moulds?

Do you remember that ad about 20 years where the boy says to the shopkeeper ''One million Creme Eggs please''

I admire your endeavour but there aren't many left in the shops!