home insurance, timber frame

M

maharani

Two years ago we insured our time frame home with a well known insurer , we did it in their office and answered all the relevant questions honestly. Our house also happens to be timber clad on the outside but we were not asked about this and it never occurred to us to offer the information.

A friend of ours has since told us that the insurance firm in question informed her that they do not insure timber clad houses. (She also has a similar house.)

What would happen in the case of a claim, particularly in the case of fire? Would they have to pay up, as we were never asked about the cladding and there is no word about it in the policy booklet?

We would be grateful for any legal opinions on this point!

Thanks!

maharani

Could you please advise if your house is constructed of timber only?
If your house is clad externally with concrete block or brick you will be ok.
If your house is covered externally & internally with timber you have a problem and need to discuss the matter immediately with your insurers.

Thanks for your reply, Ed.

The house has plasterboard walls on the inside, then various membranes, insulation etc and also the timber frame with studs. Then timber cladding on the outside, no concrete blocks or brick.

Do I understand you correctly that it is up to the person applying for insurance to supply all possible points of information, even if no relevant hints (in this case concerning timber cladding) can be found in schedules or is anywhere mentioned by the insurer ?

Sorry, that's rather a long sentence!

maharani

It is up to you to provide any information that an insurer would consider relevent in assseeing a risk.
You will find that the fact that your property is not standard construction is relevent information.

I think you should contact your insurer immediately and advise them

you def need to let your insurer know that it is timber clad - at the very best thay will charge you an additional premium due to the increased risk. At worst they will decline to cover you.
If you have a problem securing cover contact Hickey Clarke in Letterkenny - they have cover issued through Lloyds 074-9126688
-no affiliation - I just deal with them on a regular basis and find them very good.

Thanks Ed and Brian for your replies.

I have contacted the insurers (Axa) and explained the situation - they talked to their underwriters and informed me that they are willing to allow the house to be insured under present conditions and at the previously agreed rate for the coming twelve months. (Contract had only just been renewed.) They want to review the situation when that time comes to an end (e.g. examine construction plans of the house).

So I am making a note of Hickey Clarke in Letterkenny in case we need them in the future.

Once again thanks for your assistance

maharani