Home Insurance - Required Locks

J

jphegarty

Hi
I am looking at getting home insurance with getcover.ie. I am looking at the term and conditions and i see the following

- All external doors are fitted with mortice deadlocks or deadlocking rim latches.

It also states that door should not be allowed to be opened from the inside once closed but my front door is, as it closes when the door is pulled out but can be opened by hand from the inside once pulled out.

Is this requirement standard across all insurers?

Under fire regulations it would be illegal to have a house without one keyless exit i.e. a nightlatch which could be opened by turning the knob/lever or a tumbturn cylinder

Under fire regulations it would be illegal to have a house without one keyless exit i.e. a nightlatch which could be opened by turning the knob/lever or a tumbturn cylinder

With a deadlocking rimlock you need only engage the deadlock when you leave the house.

In all fairness,Its my view that insurance companies look for extra caveats as a means of not paying out on a policy.

Instead of looking for antiquated rim deadlocks, they should be insisting on anti snap cylinders on all multilocking doors (particularly back sliding patio doors or at the very least an additional lock between the frame and the door.)

Back