Home insurance quote for new-build with flat roof and tenants ?

MikeHar

Hi,

I'm buying a new house and assumed that it would be simple to get a quote online for insurance. The house is 3 storey and has a flat roof which seems to be quite comon on new-builds nowadays (eg image below). When looking at the fine print on many of the sites though I see that many refuse to give a quote for flat roofs and others specify that it covers properties occupied SOLELY by 'you and your family'.
I will probably rent out a room so strictly speaking one of the occupants will not be my family, does this really matter ?
Also, is the flat roof really an issue when its a new-build or are they just trying to avoid old-style dodgy extensions ?
Is there any insurer in particular that is likely to cater for my situation if it is indeed considered 'extra-ordinary'.
Also, I'm pressed for time at the moment and will likely have to get something in place quickly as the sale will likely close this week or next, does it matter if I just go with whatever quote I can get and then I can change it later, or is there some potential downside to choosing the 'wrong' insurer to begin with that might haunt me for years?

Thanks,

Mike.

The insurance company will probably never find out if you are just renting a single room. Although it may come to light if the tenant is the cause of a highly destructive fire for example.

Ireland has a wet climate and (traditionally) poor building standards and flat-roofed extensions were notorious for leaking. I guess insurance companies are reluctant to quote for that reason.

Other posters may be able to advise whether some insurers cover this niche.

Yes their concern is more towards the typical felt on timber roofs. However you will have to declare the roof as being "non-standard" if the proposal form asks the question.
Most insurers will allow you rent a room without it being an issue. Their concern is more that are operating a business or have the whole house rented out.

> However you will have to declare the roof as being "non-standard" if the proposal form asks the question.

This is the interesting thing, from looking at sites online they all seem to ask about different things, so some specifically ask 'is your roof greater than x% 'non-standard' construction eg 'flat roof' others ask nothing about the roof initially but then when the give the quote it is accompanied by a list of 'assumptions' which will include 'your roof is of standard construction'. Others still make no mention of the type of roof whatsoever.
It's clear that if I explicitly point out that my roof is 'non-standard' they are going to refuse to quote or jack up the price, so is it the case that if they don't ask and don't include it in their list of assumptions then I just pay the premium and say nothing or would they send me more extensive paperwork once I had paid the premium which might then include conditions about the type of roof in the fine print ?

You should declare it because in the event of you having a claim the assessor will visit your property and will say you did not give them full information and may declare your claim invalid. There are a couple of companies advertising for non standard roofs - I dealt with a couple of them last year and most want to have the roof maintained annually and replaced every 15 years. New flat roofs are probably a lot more modern that the old types so you should be up front and make sure when you pay for insurance that you are in fact fully covered. If you have other property insured with some other company you could try and get them to quote. Regarding the rented room it should not be a problem but i would inform them.

> However you will have to declare the roof as being "non-standard" if the proposal form asks the question.

This is the interesting thing, from looking at sites online they all seem to ask about different things, so some specifically ask 'is your roof greater than x% 'non-standard' construction eg 'flat roof' others ask nothing about the roof initially but then when the give the quote it is accompanied by a list of 'assumptions' which will include 'your roof is of standard construction'. Others still make no mention of the type of roof whatsoever.
It's clear that if I explicitly point out that my roof is 'non-standard' they are going to refuse to quote or jack up the price, so is it the case that if they don't ask and don't include it in their list of assumptions then I just pay the premium and say nothing or would they send me more extensive paperwork once I had paid the premium which might then include conditions about the type of roof in the fine print ?

If its 100% clearly not metioned in a proposal. statement of fact, list of assumptions then there is no issue with it. That said, if you tell them then it should still have no bearing on premiums as they dont have an issue with it.

Back