Home heating oil:how much oil you usually go through over the winter?

K

kam2007

Hey, does anyone have a rough idea of how much oil you usually go through over the winter? I've never used oil before so I'm a bit clueless. Its a 3 bed semi.

Re: Home heating oil

How long is a piece of string? There are lots of variables but I would say you could expect to go through 1500- 2000 litres per annum; but much depends on whether house is occupied during the day, insulation levels etc.

Hi Kam - we have a 3 bed semi - a tank of oil last us about a year - we are out working though and the heat might only be on for 2 - 3 hours a day....

My wife & I have a 2600 litres capacity tank. Generally we use between 1500-2200 per year, it is a 4 bedroom detached house. Usually in the evening time and during the night it would be used. Probably from December onwards to early March is when we would expect to use the bulk of it. At the moment we do have it on but have had to turn it off a few times due to the mild weather outside. My wife is due next Feb so we expect to use a lot more during the day after that....well until the weather picks up

Thanks. It's good to have an idea of how much I should get through.

I just ordered 800 Litres of Kerosene Home Heating oil again today at 70c per Litre. It must be my 3rd order in 12mths. Estimate we go through at least 2,200 Litres per year. We run a large external burner that heats 5 bedrooms and we added another oil fired stove to heat a sunroom (converted from garage). During winter, the Heating comes on for an hour in the morning and it's on again from 5PM to 11PM but controlled by Thermostat. I constantly turn the Thermostat down and the wife turns it back up. She refuses to wear an extra layer. Hope this helps.

I was advised by my boilerman that the best way to control the heating system is not by upping the Thermostat(means more oil consumption, he maintains leaving it at 60 degrees) but to utilise the timer switch, by this he reckoned I should set the heating to come on at whatever time, for, say, an hour, and then off for half hour, on for an hour etc etc, or say, two hours, then off one hour on two hours etc etc, after the heating has been on for an hour or two hours or whatever you choose the house is about to be cooled when the heating kicks in again.

He reckons it's the most efficient use of the system, rather than say, putting the thermostat up to 75 or 80 degrees and leaving it run straight.

Hope this helps