Home computing solution ?

L

Laneyh

Hi

I'd like to set my parents up with a home pc and either
dial up or broadband any tips on where to get the best
deal for setting everything up?

I live in the UK and my parent's are pretty clueless at present so my plan would be to arrange everything for them and have someone local help out with the set up

Thanks

Most likely they only need a fairly basic PC. My sister kitted most of the rest of my family out with low spec PCs being offloaded for next to nothing (Eur50-100) from her job and they are more than sufficient for their needs (email, web browsing, word processing etc.). If you can source somthing similar for a buget price it might be an idea.

For info on internet connectivity options see the links in .

Local tech support/handholding is most likely a must based on my experience as the tech support department for my family and others... :|

I'm a PC user but I'm hearing more and more positive stuff about Macs in terms of usability and hassle-free maintenance. I've heard it said more than once that a Mac would be ideal for the older and less computer literate. They're still pretty pricey compared to budget PCs though.

Ya good idea to keep an eye out for someone gettin rid of a PII or someit, i presume it is only for internet and email they want it for, no mad games and that!

Where are they based?

A Mac would probably be easier to use all right but it would be hard to justify the purchase for somebody who only occasionally used it for web browsing, email etc. One issue with a low spec PC is that it may not be powerful enough to run XP which is by far Microsoft's easiest to use operating system to date. I found that I had to install Windows 9x/Me on my family's PCs which does the job but not always as smoothly as XP would. Of course an alternative might be one of the easy to use distributions of GNU/Linux (I'm not joking!) such as [broken link removed] or Ubuntu etc. See [broken link removed] if you're interested in evaluating this as as possibility.

Back