home automation?

alri

I am building a timber frame home and very interested in a home automation system,audio ,tv ,broadband & lighting,home cinema.Unfortunatly my technical knowledge is non existent> I have got two quotes and they are charging in the region of 11-14k and this is without the amplifer/computer ect.Is this a fair price?Would I be better buying the materials in the UK and getting the electrician to put it in,he has to do this for the companies anyway.Help needed.I have read all the threads and allthough very informative I am still ignorant.

The contractor's may not be too interested, but perhaps you could ask them to give you a breakdown of their price?

ie how much for labour and how much for materials. Ask how long it will take to install(and how many men on the job) to work out the daily rate you are being charged.

Find out the exact type of equipment they are supplying. A quick search on google should through up some prices.

I would be very confident if you could find a decent electrician/technician and sourced the equipmnet directly yourself you would make a big saving.

This stuff isn't rocket science. Does the 11k to 14k include the TVetc, or is it just the infrastructure and whatever control module for the system?

Thanks Donking,the price only includes supply of cable,sockets and "main frame"ie were everything terminates,they only check it out when the electrician installs it(more cost)I can send you the quote if you are interested?One of the quotes does supply 25cd changer and amp for another 3k.

Hi,

Structured cabling should cost substantially less. Put appropriate cables in plasce with a control center and worry about equipment later down the line.

Irish company cqn supply dierect to your electrician. I used them very cost effective.

www.iqtechnologies.ie

alri said:
One of the quotes does supply 25cd changer and amp for another 3k.

3k for a CD player and amplifier you'd pick up in any good electrical shop for about 300-500 euro. Try Boards.ie, there is a DIY/Gardening section that has lots of posters asking the same questions as you.