Home Automation in Timber Frame build?

lastbuilders

HI,

I am in the process of a timber frame self build and am going through wiring requirements with the electrician. I would like to support home automation in the future. Can anyone provide me with pointers as to the wiring I should put in place or would wireless technologies facilitate networking, audio video streaming from a central location etc?

Last Builders

Hi - if you search for posts here and IT forum from wexfordman and from patrido on boards.ie's Gardening/Rec forum you'll find plenty of info on this.

Wireless imo is never as good in practice as it is in theory so go with wired where possible - you always still have the option to go wireless later.

Bottom line is run way, way more cables than you think is necessary. Decide on a 'Node Zero' which is to be the hub of all your cables - have this in a garage, attic, spare room, etc but beware it can need more space than youd first imagine.

use CAT6 to be future proof or CAT5e as cheaper alternative and basically run cables from Noze Zero to every socket, switch, phone point, thermostat, heating control, immersion, outside the front cos you may want an high tech security system or control of your gates or even sprinkler or outdoor lights etc. In fact you might even want to run 2 cables to each. have loads of extra cables where you will have a tv or hi-fi. cable is cheap and you don't have to terminate it until you need it. chasing out walls later is not cheap and is loads of hassle.

your network cable is only part of the picture - youll want loads of tv cable, speaker cables etc. but as I said do a search and youll find loads of info