Home Alarms & Insurance

U

Uranu1

Hi,

I am thinking of getting a friend of mine to install an alarm system. It will conform to IS199 standard, but he is doing it for free so cant get me the certificate. What would happen if I needed to make a claim. Would the insurance company ask to see the cert or would the fact that it is of the standard sufficient?

Thanks

As far i know, insurance is interested in the brand/type of alarm fitted, but not the installation cert, but I am open to correction. May well depend on insurance company.

For instance, when buying a second-hand house, one would be lucky to get any compliance certs/manuals/etc....

A quick call to the insurance company asking them if such a cert is required should sort it out.

I was told by the alarm installer of our new house that the certs are now required and if you have one istalled you get the cert in triplicate one goes to the insurance provider who could then give it to you if the need arrived upon selling the house. He said that they are getting mighty sticky about it. hth

Just to let you know the standard on intruder alarms is now en50131-1. From the first of August last year it is now against the law for any person not lisenced with private security authority to install an intruder alarm system both installer and houser can be heavily fined .Insurance companys genarally discount 10% for certed installations and a further 10% for monitored systems but it does depend on insurance company.

You need to clarify with the company exactly what they require, eaqch company is different on specifications. But depending on what they have to offer as a discount it still is possibly cheaper to get it done as a nixer. Discount usually only about 10% for bells only alarm.

From the first of August last year it is now against the law for any person not lisenced with private security authority to install an intruder alarm system both installer and houser can be heavily fined.

Not 100% accurate. Just to clarify, the [broken link removed] only covers paid for installations, so you can still DIY it!
Leo

Leo, don'tthink you are right there. The legislation covers all installations and does not make exception for paid or unpaid.

The legislation explicitly only covers those "who provide a security service for remuneration" or those who "employ an unlicensed security operator".

So DIY installations are exempt. The idea behind the formation of the PSA was to license and regulate the private security industry. All the details are available on their website linked above.
Leo

The alarm will provide you with up to 10% discount but be aware that if your house is burgaled and the alarm is not on you will most lightly not be covered.