Holland Damp Proofing - any thoughts on this method?

ice

[broken link removed]

We are trying to sort out a condensation problem in a house we are about to buy.

Have been told the house is not well insulated by our Surveyor who said that he would not buy the house although there is nothing structurally wrong with it. He said vents would only make the house cold.

Have had mixed opinions on dry lining; some think it won't solve the problem

Do you think this system would work?

Not sure if they even operate in Ireland but have sent them an email.

Any experiences or thoughts??
Thanks

FIRSTLY.. DRY lining doesnt solve the problem, all you are doing is erecting another element of building fabric to keep out the damp... sometimes it works, other times it doesnt.

Secondly, i would always be slow to advise any product that isnt certified to work under irish conditions.. ie the IAB cert.....

did your surveyor attempt to define where and why the damp is coming in ??.
[broken link removed]
the above company have a long and reputable history in this market in ireland, perhaps contact them to get their advise.

I also post on construct ireland, so i know you have this issue up there as well. some of the posters there are very knowledgeable but do come from a certian initial bias, you need to remember that.

There are a few solutions to rising damp..... im not sure about the dutch one to be honest. you can inject a chemical damp proof course but you need to check that your wall can take it. Is it a 310 cavity wall with 50mm polystyrene insulation??
Another solution is an expensive electro-osmosis damp proof course. This website explains it.... http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/ELECTRICAL_DAMP_PROOF_COURSE.htm
i dont know of any irish company that does it, but it is recommeded by the dept of environment conservation guidelines....
http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/Heritage/ArchitecturalHeritage/FileDownLoad,2235,en.pdf

either this system or the injection one would suit yours... dont dry-line, its a bad, cheap option.

external insulation thats being advised elsewhere is all ok in theory but you need to remember the issues other than construction, ie will planning be required for a change of facade finish? what effect will it have on soffits, barges? etc.

I would definately incorporate a HRV system.. .dont drill holes in the walls...

i appreciate all these systems are the expensive ones, and theres no such thing as an endless budget, but the more time you put into planning this the better.....

Edit... ive just realised at no point did you say you have a rising damp problem, so most of what ive said above is useless to you... but so is that dutch system!!...
Your new HRV system will solve your condensation problem..... just remove your wall finishes to see exactly the extent of damage....

Last edited:
Thanks sid the beat...will check out those sites.
Its condensation that is the problem. I think it has a lot to do with the shower which causes a LOT of steam. We didn't shower over the weekend (very smelly house today ) and we have had no wet walls at all. Have also unblocked the vents.

We are planning to get either a fully inclosed shower or a really good extractor fan in the bathroom and possibly vents in the bedroom.
Do you think this will work??

Surveyor said the walls were not damp in the house we are going to buy, just that its not a well insulated house.
Is this true of a lot of older builds (pre 70's)?

I think the HRV system won't work as the house is not well insulated

Last edited:
ice, the main reason for the HRV system is to solve your ventilation and condensation problem... its nothing to do with insulation.

but i was under the impression that you had no vents.... obviously you have if you can unblock them. You should incorporate mechanical extraction fans into areas to comply with current regs... read here:
http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,1647,en.pdf

you area correct in that older builds were not well insulated... even some 70's houses have no insulation. External insulation AND pumped in will be very expensive....

THere is a vent in the hall but no vents upstairs at all.

I thought the HRV only worked in a well insulated house?

The fact that the house is not well insulated and thus will lead to condensation is putting me off buying a similar house thats up for sale.

but if this is going to be the case with a lot of old houses maybe we'll just have to live with it.

its the lack of ventilation thats causing the excessive condensation, not the lack of insulation.
have a read of that technical guidance document i linked to in my last post, this will explain exactly what ventilation is required in todays standards.
i still think a HRV system with pumped in insulation is your best option.... only you will know if the figures add up to make it worth your while...