Holidays in South of France

Staples

Does anyone have recommendations for a holiday destination in the South of France (not too far from Nice). We're travelling with an almost two-year old son.

Ideally, I'd like somewhere beside a decent promenade on which we could walk Junior in the evening and let him get some good sea air into those city lungs of his. A few nice fish restaurants wouldn't go amiss either.

Ideally, We'd like a good standard appartment-type accommodation with air-con, kitchen, etc.

Any advice appreciated

Villages vacances ( sp?) - this sort of thing : are where the French go with children- usually kids camps, swimming pools etc all on hand. Maybe would be better for older children.

For area I would recommend Menton- nice town, long prom, beach, loads of restaurants on the sea front, a market and nice quirky little shops. About 15 min drive to Monte Carlo and a short drive to Italy in other direction. Fly into Nice- about 40 min.s away. Try www.abritel.fr for apt rental if you don't want to do the village vacances thing. Actually I think if you google Menton there might be a specific accommodation site for the town. Loads of previous threads here too if you do a search.

Vanilla

Thanks for the links.

Plenty of food for thought there.

Staples

Try Kellair (based in Galway), great deals I've used them for two years and some friends of mine have used them for years no, complaints yet!!

Ryanair fly into a few destinations in the South... I would recommend a little village called Cassis, much nicer than St Tropez..cleaner and more picturesque. From there its very easy to drive to beautiful locations such as Hyeres, Bormes Les Mimosas and onto St Tropez if you like...Wouldn't really recommend Marseille. Let me know if you need any info..you'll have a fantastic holiday!

Why not try driving. Much more freedom, no dragging luggage thru the airport..drive to Ringaskiddy on the boat drive off next morning, very relaxing take your time driving to the palce your staying. Have to say did it for the first time last year and it's the first time i felt like i was on holidays leaving the house.

Villefranche-Sur-Mer is fantastic. Small little harbour about 20 mins from Nice. Excellent restaurants. Not many shops. Very easy to get around from VF to other coastal towns. There's a train station at the end of the town which is handy. Not for people that want loads of shops, bars, mad nightlife etc.

problem with villefranche maybe is that its on the small side, not a huge amount of variety i found and everything is a drive then. what about Nice itself, seems to answer all your needs. or another option about half an hour from Nidce airport would be Jouans Les Pins, very family orientated, restaurants along the prom and on the beach, we had a lovely stay there last year with our 3 year old. Anyway, bonne vacances !

How long did it take to get to your destination from leaving Ringaskiddy? I'm planning to head down towards Bordeaux this summer, and I'm toying with the idea of a ferry. We will have a one-year old baby with us, so I'm thinking the drive will be too long for her from Roscoff down. My alternative is to fly to Bordeaux and rent a car - I think it would even probably work out cheaper - what do you think?

www.holidaylettings.co.uk is good for apartments and holiday lets around Nice and you can usually email or phone the owner and they will give you relevant info like suitability for children, distance from promenade etc.

amgd28, try aaireland.ie and check out the route planner. I'd imagine you must be looking at 5 to 6 hours of a drive. Roads in France are good. If you plan a stop off, depending on what time the ferry docks it is doable. Especially if you plan the route and stop off around nap times. The great thing about taking the car with a baby is that you can pack everything, the travel cot, buggy, formula toys etc Downside is that you will fill the car on teh way home with wine etc etc. The ferry is nice if you take brittany ferries. Not so nice is irish ferries. Still if you get a cabin and bring your own food even irish ferries is ok. There are usually soft play areas on all ferries for the babies.

would second that - villefranche is imo one of the best locations in the south of france to use as a base. Short trip to Nice on the bus or train on one side and equally short trip to Monaco or the Italian border on the other side. Villefranche has some lovely restaurants and a fantastic bay. Nice, in my opinion, is a kip. Most of it anyway!

You arrive in Roscoff in the morning, from there it's over 400 miles (7-8 hours) to Bordeaux, or almost 900 miles to Nice. Check out Yahoo maps for directions, etc.

If you fly to Bordeaux with Aer Lingus, you get a reduced rate with Hertz which works out about the cheapest. Have a 307 booked for 15 days for €470 there in Spetember.
Leo

if you're thinking of flying to Bordeaux, why not try the Atlantic coast? Arcachon, Biarritz, St Jean de Luz. would save you the longer drive to the dirty med!

I agree the Irish Ferries is like a cattle trailer compaired to Brittany Ferries, The drive would normally take between 4 - 6 hours although your on holidays you can stop when you want and anyway most camps etc you cant check in before 2pm so no point in rushing. If you don't have a roofbox and are thinking of buying one wait 'till you get there far cheaper in France. (don't forget to buy roof rails). Also to be fair most babies will sleep most of the way, one thing I have to say is it's the first time i've ever left the house and felt like i was on holidays from the moment I left and to be honest I don't think I'll fly anywhere on holidays again.

Plenty of food for thought - thanks for the replies
Pernickitey - intended destination is approx 1 hr from Bordeaux airport - I'm not the OP! Just a hijacker ;-)