Holidaying in France....

lyonsie

Am going to France this summer June/July for 4 weeks. Has anyone gone without booking accommodation and is it easy to get some, as it is in Ireland, or is it more advisable to book beforehand.
I am open to all types of accommodation, even camp sites as we will have 2 teenagers (14/15) with us.
We are going by ferry, just by ourselves, and hope to go to Provence for first week, then over to La Rochelle area for a few days, then teenagers are to fly over for last week or so, and we will all return by ferry.
Any and all ideas will be welcome.
Even things to do for teenagers in the South Brittany/Loire Atlantique/Vendee regions, please.

On La Rochelle - have a look at this post. I stayed in the same hotel last summer and it was exactly as the original poster described - quite basic but a great location. There are several camp sites in the area, including on Ile de Re (which is beautiful), so send the kids there!

If I had money to burn I'd buy a place in La Rochelle now, I love the place with a passion.

Enjoy your holiday.

[FONT=&quot]I usually go to France without pre-booking accommodation, but you do run the risk of finding it difficult if e.g. you arrive in a popular town late in the evening. France is full of hotel chains such as Ibis, Mercure or Novotel but these are a bit sterile, so for something a bit more authentic and unique you should definitely try the owner-managed Logis de France http://www.logis-de-france.fr . If you can read French you should get a French guidebook such as the Guide du Routard http://www.routard.com and try the hotels and restaurants recommended in it. These will be much more authentic. [/FONT]

Thanks for those sites, they will be studied greatly. I think we will make our way up to Normandy for last week with 'the lads', so any ideas for camp sites/gites, with teenage activities would be appreciated. Anyone know of a nice place in Toulouse to stay (cheap and cheerfull), would love a night there and visit Trevor Brennans Pub.... hubby a 'rugger bugger'.

Go to this website where you can reserve a mobile home/caravan or cabana at a very good camping site.here!-----> [broken link removed]

Accommodation in Nice area becomes problematic in July -August. Lots of self catering apartments/villas suitable for families on web.

You shouldn't have any problems in June but once schools are out for July it's better to pre book accommodation. As previously stated the Logis are great places to stay, often even a two or three star can have a fabulous restaurant and much more intesting than the chain hotels. Ask to see the room before you take it to see it's suitable, that's what we do. Nearly every town has a tourist office - office de tourisme - which is generally well signposted (normally town center) and they will be able to give you a list of accommodation. Re sport (rugby/soccer) on TV, that can be difficult to find in France so don't count on it and you won't be disappointed.

I'd book in advance anyway. But definitely anything from mid July on should be booked as that is when the French really go on holiday. The Bac results come out then and the kids that have failed will have to repeat, so many families don't book anything until they know the results.

We've stayed in Logis de France hotels - great value and always top food and clean, approx 60e per room per night, breakfast extra, norm 7e per person. We've also booked accommodation with Pierre et Vacances (Ile de Re near La Rochelle kind of like French Kinsale...) - self catering and in Aix en Provence (it was very hot that July in Aix) and Monflanquin, east of Bordeaux really great. Enjoy!

Thanks for all this advice. Think I will 'play it by ear' for June, and from July 1st to 8th will look at booking something for ourselves around La Rochelle, after that the Kids (14/15) arrive and am thinking of something around Mont St. Michelle.... anyone got any ideas. I have been looking at camp sites (they think they are young enough for them) but you are looking at around 1250 per week for mobile home.... I think for 2 or 3 km inland we might get a gite/cottage for about 500 for the week, leaving on 16th July from Cherbourge. Anyone got any recommendations for anywhere around this area, within 2 hours drive to Cherbourge...

I can recommend campsite 'Le Vieux Chene' 4 stars near Dol de Bretagne about less than 1 hour's drive from Mont St Michel. Check the site out on google - a very nice pool complex. If you are thinking of staying 1 - 2 weeks try out www.bonnevieholidays.co.uk for a quote.
Ask for Jayne. Very small independent operator. Fight hard for a good price and you'll definitely do a hell of a lot better than € 1,250 for a week in fact I think you may get a mobile with them at that price for 2 weeks if you push hard enough.

One caveat they are not a bonded company but that did'nt stop me.

A few years since I stayed there - it is a relatively small site about 200 pitches I think it was.

Vendee/Loire region

An absolute must see - www.puydufou.com

Go early be there by 9.15 a.m and you will be there for the day so bring a picnic.

Night time show also if not already booked out.

no need to book in advance for June. July & aug you will, but its always nice to know in advance if you have a place