Holiday to Slovenia

Adrian

Hi guys,

I'm giving myself plenty of time I know, but I'm off to Slovenia in October for 2 weeks and since it's going to be only my first trip overseas to a non-English speaking country (big thing for me), I was wondering if anyone has been there before and what they thought? Maybe someone could give me some tips on what to do, not to do, things to avoid, or just their general impressions on the country and the people.

I'm intending to spend a few days in the capital, Ljubljana before travelling overland for the remainder of my trip, before coming back to Ljubljana to get my flight home.

Any insight or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Adrian​

Hi Adrian,

I’ve been to Slovenia a few times and it’s a beautiful country. Ljubljana is a lovely city, with bridges, a castle and cobbled lanes. It’s also very laid back and the people are friendly. It’s a great place to wander around while eating the delicious ice creams that are sold on every street. However, one of the main fast food outlets is “Hot Horse” which I wasn’t brave enough to try!
Another great place to go is Lake Bled, it’s only about two hours from Ljubljana by bus. It has an old church in the middle of the lake that you can row out to. Bohinj is near Bled and also has a beautiful lake and a cable car that you can take up into the mountains (the Julian Alps). The views are amazing. Slovenia is lovely and it’s still quite undiscovered by English speaking tourists which adds to the enjoyment and the feeling that you are somewhere a little different. You'll have a great time there!

Just booked a late holiday to Slovenia yesterday. Going to Portoroz for a week on 6th aug.Curious myself. Let you know when I get back.
Ardman

Thanks for the advice guys. Did the search and found some interesting information. Also picked up the lonely planet guide to Slovenia over the weekend so hopefully that'll offer some advice also.

Noelle said:
However, one of the main fast food outlets is “Hot Horse” which I wasn’t brave enough to try!

Thanks for all your advice, Noelle. Really thought that Slovenia was one of those countries undiscovered by Irish travellers. Think I'll be passing on the 'Hot Horse' though. I think I'm as adventurous as the next person but horsemeat burgers don't really sound like something I want to sink my teeth into. Will definitely be spending a few days in Ljubljana and I think a visit to Bled and the lake is a must. Have seen that recommended in a couple of places.

I've seen photos of Portoroz, ardman, and it looks fantastic. Might venture there for a day or two. Any feedback you can give would be greatly appreciated. Enjoy the trip. Oh, and out of curiosity, who did you book the holiday with?

Adrian

I stayed in Portoroz. It's quite small with some nice restaurants. No real beach but plenty of little floating piers to swim from. Hop on a bus and head to Piran, lovely town, lots of seafood restaurants. Visit the caves. I loved the place.

Was in Slovenia over recent weeks - beautiful country.

Moved between Ljubljana / Lake Bled and Portoroz and to be honest 2-3 nights in each is probably the ideal arrangement. Stayed in this place [broken link removed] in Ljubljana and could not recommend it more highly. It's in a city so no major view but standard of service and room really excellent.

Moved onto Bled on day 3 and views were spectacular - it really is like this . For what it's worth you should pay teh extra and get a room with a lake view. We stayed here http://www.hotel-toplice.com/ rooms were surperb and postcard type view but a little stuffy for me - plenty of brownie points for teh view though.

Fully agree with the comments about Bohinj - a definite visit about 30 mins drive from Bled. Keep an eye out for the paragliders jumping off the mountain - amazing sight. Boat trip well worth the visit too.

Hired a car while I was there - best thing you can do. The roads are fantastic ( and old communist thing maybe?) - the drive to Portoroz was brilliant but the resort itself as just ok. No real beach as such and much like Spain / Portugal. Ended up taking teh bus to Piran each evening as there was more to see / do there and loads of nice restos.

BTW - if you get the chance make sure to visit the caves here

Definitely the most impressive I've ever been in.

Roy

We booked holiday with local travel agent, Time Travel in Wexford.
Topflight are the travel company.
Ardman

My daughter went around Europe last year, backpacking. I was sick and tired of getting e-mails about Slovenia. Delighted to hear from her of course but Slovenia was all she could talk about. She was so impressed that now she has a picture of Lake Bled as her screen saver on the computer. Must admit it makes me want to see the place.

Agree with the posts here, particularly onekeano. Just back from my honeymoon in Slovenia. Really beautiful place.
Stayed in Ljubljana for a week, taking bus tours to Lake Bled and the Postojna caves. Ljubljana is a smallish, clean safe city. Like Roy, stayed in the Royal Media Domina Hotel. Fabulous hotel. Booked it really cheaply on www.activehotels.com.
Both Bled and the caves are worthwhile. We were sorry we didn't have time to return to Bled for a second day. The caves are cold (~8degC), bring a coat.

Excellent article by Myles McWeeney in Weekend supplement of Irish Independent (12/8/06) if you can get your hands on it.I still have it if its any good to you.
Ardman

Excellent article by Myles McWeeney in Weekend supplement of Irish Independent (12/8/06) if you can get your hands on it.I still have it if its any good to you.
Ardman

Thanks for the heads up, Ardman. I'd certainly be very appreciative if you could organise even a copy of the article for me. I'm flying out to Slovenia 5 weeks from Thursday. I've got loads of info so far but any more would certainly be welcomed.

Thanks!

I spent a week in Slovenia a few years ago. Flew from Prague to Ljubljana and took bus straight to Piran. Beautiful old town, great food & can do day trip to Venice from there if you haven't been. Potoroz seemsed very big & resorty so we stayed in Piran whoch was much quieter. Then back to Ljubljana for a few night son the town. Check out the tea shop if you can find it - great cakes and the bars down by the river are great fun. A beautiful city.