Holiday Recommendation 2008

DACMAN

Hi,
We're a family of 5, Kids range from 8 to 14, every year we go on a self-catering holiday, either Ireland Wales or France , looking to spend next year in the sun lazing by a pool with a sandy beach nearby, somewhere within 4 hours flight time - dosen't have to be a package hol. I'd welcome first hand recommendations, length of stay would be between a week and 10 days, budget is up to 6K.

Thanks

second that. Ryanair flights should be no greater than 5 x 150 even after charges. rent a three bedroom apartment/ villa off one of the many rental companies and take a transfer from the airport to apartment. I used best days this year [broken link removed] . cost for 5 from faro to say albufeira will be around €100 return. if you got to one of the bigger resorts albufeira, lagos or vilamoura you probably won't need to rent a car as there will be plenty to do. Lagos is my fav but I also like albufeira.

I recommend one of the many campsites France has to offer and my suggestion would be La Sirene in Languedoc. Was there this summer and its a fantastic place and miles of beach just 5mins drive up the road.

Sounds like perfect ages for Orlando but that is a longer flight! you could rent villa and get flights for your budget

What about east coast of northern Spain maybe Salou or the nicer and smaller Cambrils. Fly into Reus or Bacelona. You have the brilliant Fortaventura theme park nearby and a day trip to the beautiful Barcelona also as an option. Of course, you say you want to stay by the pool so maybe day trips are the last thing you are looking for ! I know Salou gets mixed reports and it is dominated by our neighbours across the Irish Sea but soemtimes with the kids it's good to have options !!
We honeymooned in the Algarve and it is lovely once you pick a location suitable to your needs.
We also has a terrific sun holiday in Puerto del Carmen in Lanzarote. Try to get somewhere in the old town and walking distance to beach.
How about Italy - never been but have heard great reports.

Has anybody stayed in any of the 'Falcon holiday' villas and would the recommend. They seem good value (private pool and car included in price).

Don't want to knock the Al Garve but I was there this year (July) for the first time and found it cold and very windy by the beach and pool - was in Lagos and maybe it's better a bit towards the East. Other than that it's a beautiful place and lovely food.

France is nice but the weather may not be as good, have you considered the Lake District in Italy -lovely place.

have you considered the Lake District in Italy -lovely place.
When I looked into this, the prices seemed to be about double the equivalent in Spain & Portugal, i.e. €4.5k for a family of 2+1 for 2 weeks, compared to €2k for Spain or Portugal. Are these prices typical?

When I looked into this, the prices seemed to be about double the equivalent in Spain & Portugal, i.e. €4.5k for a family of 2+1 for 2 weeks, compared to €2k for Spain or Portugal. Are these prices typical?

On our package holiday we did find the Lake District a bit more expensive but Ryanair fly into Milan and Venice from Shannon, Milan, Turin and Venice from Dublin so you might be able to do a DIY holiday a bit cheaper.

Hi
I'd hugely recommended Camping Sanguili (near Salou) in Spain. Tons to do for kids of all ages. Mobile homes and bungalows to rent. Near the beach. Fly with Ryanair to Reuss. It has a huge following with Irish families.
Best

you should check out planos bay on the ionian island of zakyntos (zante) great spot for families of all ages

so what have you chosen?
Booked a Villa on the owners-direct website (incl Pool - near beach & Village) in Carvoeiro, Flying Ryanair - middle 2 Weeks in July costing €3.9K, I'll book a car as well. Thanks for all replies!!

Good choice. Stayed in Rocha Brava for a week in Sept 07. Carvoeiro is a beautiful spot

go to portugual, the al garve!

What would temperatures be like in al garve beinnging-middle of July. Usually go on hols in June to avoid the soaring temperatures. We like to do day trips and find it unfair on the kids dragging them round in very high temps.