Holiday on Lake Garda

R Flan

Myself and my girlfriend are travelling to lake garda in august for holidays. we plan on travelling to rome then venice and then drive up from venice on to where we are staying at the top of Lake Garda in Riva Del Garda.

My question is would anyone know the best way to fly back to dublin? i dont mind driving back to venice or going to milan but which is closer to fly out of?

any help is much appreciated.

It's about the same distance but there are more airports around Milan & generally more flights. Don't forget to check out the south of Lake Garda...some lovely towns there.

the airport in Verona is closest (not sure if there are any direct flights from Dublin). There are two airports in Milan and they are a couple of hours away.

Your decision should be based on what is the cheapest flight to Dublin out of Venice -Aer Lingus Venice/Treviso- Ryanair Milan-Linate Milan-Malpensa (which is a long way westward past Milan). Actually, as I'm unsure whether Aer Lingus still fly from both milan airports-check it out.

Also, check the times -some flights depart quite early. Between leaving hotel and flight-time you need four hours, maybe longer in case of traffic.

Also does the car-hire company (i assume you're renting) have facilities at each airport.

Personally I find traffic round Milan -on the autostrada - can be horrible much of the day.

thank you for your help its greatly appreciated. would anyone have any suggestions for places to stay in rome? we were looking at the hotel mecenate so far

When travelling to a wedding in Lake Garda last Summer, I took a cheap flight to Brescia via London (Ryanair). I then took a short bus ride from the airport to Brescia train station followed by a longer bus ride to Riva del Garda. Great option if you're fond of exploring, as the bus drove through many small towns. Most others from the wedding party took a taxi direct from Brescia or Verona airports to hotel in Riva. Information re Italy is difficult to find online. Your best bet would be to write to one of the hotels in the area and ask them what is the most direct connection to the various airports. I think I also remember there being a bus direct from Riva to Verona airport (I would have flown into Verona had I known). Like I say, I find best information in Italy comes from the hotels in the area.

Be carefull if its a Sunday evening coming off Lake Garda. Traffic can be a nightmare. Bergamo airport is Probebly the closest. Also hire a powerful car. You will understand this when you hit the motorways. We hired a Ford Ka. What a mistake. The Italians drive like lunatics and dont give you an inch on the roads. The motorways are a real experience when driven for the first time. Regardless its a great place to Holiday on the lake. We stayed at Hotel Garda in Garda town.It was cheap and very clean. The village is also very nice with great restaurants. Enjoy.

Back